Nine

"Mrs.Matthews?"
"Ya?" Said Topanga, looking up from her magazine.
"How long do you think I'll live."
"To be a hundred, Maya."
"Really. I'm not messing around with false hope."
"The mess around with real hope. You have a chance, Maya. Yes, it's serious, but you're Maya. You'd never let this tear you down."
"I used to think that. Have you ever doubted yourself?"
"Yes, of course."
"Really?"
"I'm human. I doubt myself some time. But I never get anywhere by doing that. Neither will you."
"I don't want to talk about me. I was just wondering. What are you reading?"
"Some fashion magazine from the shelf. Do you want me to get you something?" Maya shook her head.
"No thanks."
"You just want to talk?"
"If you don't mind."
"Of course not. Well, it's actually kind old. I guess they don't switch them out very often."
-
"Cory, she's suffering."
"Not every week will be like this."
"I mean she thinks she's gonna die."
"She's sixteen. She knows her chances. It's devastating but we can't trick her."
"And if she gives up that last but of hope?"
"That would be devastating."
"What are you taking about?"
"Oh, Riley. Hi."
"What's devastating?"
"That Maya hasn't felt well in a while."
"She's asleep now. She was throwing up. Again."
"We know."
"What do you know that I don't?"
"She's bound to find out."
"Shouldn't it be Maya?"
"You know Maya will never say anything."
"About what?" Interrupted Riley. "That she's sick and didn't care enough to tell me? I figured it out. I don't know how sick but I know she is."
"Riley-"
"So it's true. How could she not tell me?" She asked before turning back to her room.
"Good, you're awake. How could you not tell me?"
"Tell you?" Asked a tired Maya.
"You're sick. You haven't said anything. I thought we might be getting our friendship back like it used to be." Maya turned to her side and curled up, feeling her stomach ache. She clenched to her pillow and squeezed her wet eyes but the combination of the crying and nausea won. She ended up on her knees, throwing up some bile into the trash can and dry heaving. She felt a hand on her back.
"Maya." She tried to catch her breath. "I'm not mad at you. I'm here for you. Even if you didn't tell me."
Maya reached for Riley's hand and squeezed it as a thank you. She helped her back into bed where Nuzzles awaited her.
"That cat really loves you." Maya smiled a bit before falling asleep easily, tired from being sick.
-
"Don't worry. Be happy."
"You can't sing for the life of you."
"I know." Said Lucas, picking up the smoothie. "You want it."
"No thanks. I'm afraid I can't hold anything down."
"You will be able to."
"Lucas, I just started to feel better."
"You keep getting sick and you're gonna end up as scrawny as my cat."
"He is pretty scrawny."
"Hey guys." Said Riley, sitting down. "Um, Maya." She said, placing the bottle right next to her leg.
"What's that?" Asked Lucas, looking over her but Maya placed her hand on top. "Please don't tell me that was a pill bottle and you too are."
"It wasn't. I'll be right back." She hurried down the short hall and into the bathroom with the bottle. After taking her medicine she noticed some hair caught on her finger.
"Ew." She said, flicking it off. She ran her fingers through her hair to find a little bit coming off. Grunting, she threw it away and told them she was going home. It was only her third week. She didn't expect it to be so sudden.
"I'm leaving."
"Why?" Asked Riley, standing up.
"It's nothing."
"Are you feeling okay."
"This has nothing to do with being sick over the weekend."
"Good."
"I'll see you at dinner."
"Okay." Maya put her back pack over her shoulder and went back to the Matthews, brushing out her hair.
"Great, clumps." She mumbled. She'd read that it could come out gradually or quickly in clumps she placed her hand on the back of her head before digging a hat from her bag she still hadn't unpacked and put a black beanie over her head, sighing as she looked in the mirror.
"No hats at dinner pl- oh." Said Topanga. "It's okay, I guess."
"Thanks." Said Maya, quietly.
"Would you like to lead us in a prayer?"
"I'm not religious."
"I thought you started going to church. And you were baptized."
"I guess faith just isn't for me."