16

"Is she asleep?"
"No. She wont stay still." Said Shawn.
"It's strange. She said everything hurts."
"She didn't push for tremadol."
"She's about to Cory. She's in so much pain."
"A lot of kids go through cancer with little pain. She's addicted. She's acting." Says Topanga.
"It's not the same for every kid."
"If it's really that bad what made this happen to her."
"I want another MRI." Said Cory. "Maya's never lied about pain." He said, walking down the hall.
"Maya?"
"Y-ya."
"What hurts."
"E-everything aches. I can't take it."
"You had one not too long ago. I'm afraid it's too much when you shouldn't be on it at all.
"I-it hurts so bad."
"I know. I know. Try and take a breath." She did as told, coughing at the end of it into her arm.
"Mr.Matthews, what if it spread?"
"I'm gonna call tonight. We'll make sure it's okay. Just don't worry. Close your eyes. Don't think about it pr anything. Try and remember Mass. Think about that." She nodded and he stood and sat in Rileys bed.
"Dad?"
"Sorry Riley. Did I wake you?"
"I was awake."
"Sleep well." He said, kissing er head. "You don't worry either."
"Thanks, dad." She said, lifting the cat from the ground. "Put her next to Maya." Cory smiled and did so.
"Merry Christmas, Riley."
"Merry Christmas, dad." Riley looked down at her friend once Cory was gone. Merry Christmas wasn't appropriate. The next would not be either. Maya was getting worse. And quickly.
-
"Hey, Maya. How you doing?" Asked Lucas, sitting on the edge of the bed.
"Fine."
"Hey. You in there?"
"Please. I don't want to be a bummer."
"You're never."
"I'm not me."
"What? Of course you're you. You're still in there. You're just trapped by this."
"Lucas, no. I'm sorry if I complain a lot. I'm sorry I've made it so difficult." She said with tears filling her eyes.
"No-no. You've made nothing difficult."
"I'm sorry, Lucas. I'm sorry for everything I've done. I'm sorry, Lucas."
"Stop. You never did anything wrong." He said, tucking her hair back. "And you never chose this."
"I'm sorry that I want to die."
"Oh, Maya. No, no. I don't want you to leave me. Please, Maya. Keep fighting."
"Lucas, I don't want to hurt you but I can't. It always hurts. I want to be free. Lucas, please understand me."
"I'm trying. I am but Maya we need you here."
"I wont be for much longer, Lucas. I can't do this." She curled up and began to sob as he ran his fingers through her hair.