Twelve

"He hasn't said anything to you in two days."
"I'm not talking about this." Said Maya, sitting up on the bed and looking at Riley who was folding putting her computer on her desk. "Or anything to do with me. I'm sick of it." She fell back down and out her hands over her eyes.
"Just tell me about your date with Farkle."
"That's tomorrow."
"Where were you today."
"Here. With you."
"Oh. I remember now." Cory finally lifted his hand to the door and knocked.
"Come in." Said Riley.
"Maya. Medicine." She sat back up as he placed the bottles down and opened one. She reached and grabbed one next to her, opening it up and putting two in her palm.
"Your heads really hurting, huh?" Without answering she swallowed them. "Not too many of these,
Okay?"
"Kay."
"I'm serious Maya. You don't take it without asking."
"Fine." She finished taking her medicine and thanked him.
"Night girls. School tomorrow."
"Night." They said at once.
-
"Lucas. Lucas! Hey, look at her." Said Riley. "Are you going to just ignore her?"
"Riley, stop. Let him."
"No. I'm not going to stop."
"Stop." Said Cory. "Class is over."
"Make him stop ignoring her." Maya was out of the classroom by then.
"She wouldn't lose a second of art."
"I can't do it. I can barely look at her." Said Lucas.
"Well step back and take a good one."
"Riley, she's gonna die and I can't take this."
"Then how will she?" She pushed her chair out, standing and swung her bag over her shoulder and left for art class.
-
"'Bout time you made it around." Said Riley, coldly.
"You're still mad at me?"
"You ignored her for a week."
"She let me."
"She doesn't want to hurt you."
"Can I see her."
"No. She's not here."
"What?"
"She went out with some of her art friends. She wouldn't be here waiting for you."
"Wait. She's aloud out?"
"Duh."
"Did you meet them?"
"I met two. She has chemistry with one of them."
"I know you're trying to make me jealous."
"No, I mean second period."
"Oh."
"But still. I'd worry if I were you."
"When's she back."
"I don't know. Two?"
"Two! Mr.Matthews would never allow that. I get some things bit they can't just give her special treatment, allowing her to go off in the city at night with people they don't know."
"They're his students too."
"Right. Still."
"Lucas, she spends so much time at the doctor. These are her friends. If she doesn't spend time with them the same thing that happened to us will happen."
"You really stick by her."
"I'm her best friend. I need to be sturdy for her. You really have no clue how much she relies on us."
"She doesn't. She's learned to be without us."
"And what happened to her Depression."
"Maybe I should waver less. It's so stressful, you know? I'm afraid to do anything."
"Why?"
"Because she's so deep and fragile. Or insane. Sometimes I can't tell."
"You think Maya is insane?"
"A little. I think there's a voice in her head. It's always been there, telling her awful things and she stopped being able to tell what it is."
"She can just pick the ones telling her bad things about herself."
"It's not that easy. It sounds like her voice to her. It's sneaky like that."
"Why do you know this."
"Sometimes I think I can hear it too. We all can.
"I guess It's happened. Especially around these years.
"You guys helped."
"How?"
"Well, I tell the voice that if someone like you and/or her could possibly like me, the voices might not be as right as they sound to me."
"Maya's only gonna like you for so long before you're stuck with just two friends."
"She still likes me?"
"She's trusts you so much but she's so much more afraid of hurting you."
"I told her I don't want her to be."
"But she is. Tell someone not to be sad, that doesn't make them happy."
"Thanks, Riley. You're a great friend to us all."
"Stop bothering me with you guys' problems." She joked.
"I don't think you have to be afraid to tell Maya yours. She's still alive. No special treatment. She'd hate you for it."
"Okay. Bye."
"Bye."