Thirteen

"Come on. Let me just climb."
"This is higher then last time."
"Ya, we were ten feet last time. It was a short tree."
"It was day." Maya continued to climb higher, fingers gripping the bark and feet pressing hard not to slip.
"Okay, made it." She said, swinging her leg over the branch and backing up so he could join her.
"Look."
"Wow. It's not even the view. It's just that- the people."
"Far away. It's hard to feel anything about anyones lives but when your down there, you don't even have to know them. It's just all so real. And here, you're numb."
"I'm not numb. I'm something. I'm needed And no responsibility. No judgement. Just important even if I know once I get down there I'm just another one of them."
"A soul without a face."
"Ya. Undefined. Lost."
"Sick?"
"Don't define yourself as that."
"Sick of everything."
"You don't enjoy things at all?"
"I do. I'm enjoying this."
"Good."
"Are you?" He leaned in, gripping the bark with one hand and connecting his lips to hers.
"How's that for an answer? I like you too."
"Okay, Cocky, where'd you get that whole liking thing from?"
"You don't?"
"I do. But you know nothing can happen, right?"
"Why not."
"Because I'm gonna die on you."
"I'll be over you by then." She punched his arm."Joking. But if you're going to leave me, you owe me this."
"Fine. But don't hate me if I just die."
"You won't." She raised her eyebrows. "Well- Be positive."
"That's closer."
"Friday night movies?"
"Can't wait."
-
"Where's Maya?"
"She went with Sara to help her babysit. Six kids. Couldn't do it alone."
"How long ago was that?"
"A few minutes ago. Wait. You're going to the movies tonight." There was a knock on the door. Lucas opened it to see Maya and Sara.
"I am so sorry. I've had trouble remembering things. Please forgive me."
"It's fine, Maya. It's a symptom."
"Of what?" Asked Sara.
"Of overworking." Said Lucas. "She overworks herself and we call thise kinds of things symptoms."
"Oh. I guess that sorta makes sense."
"How's Tomorrow night?"
"Great." Maya gave him a little smile and the girls left.
"I think you should just shave it." Siad Riley, walking into the bathroom where Maya was adjusting her hat and trying to make it look as if she had more hair.
"What?"
"Ya. The pains over. It's gone."
"It's not that painful. Okay well I so hate losing it. But I'm gonna look awful."
"From this tiny amount of hair, I don't think much will change. Besides. Ypu look good in any way."
"Ha. That's funny."
"I don't think I'll get you to believe it. Come on."
"No!"
"Maya, no offense but I hate this." She said, lifting up the bit of hair.
"That's your opinion." Riley took her hand away.
"Really?" She said, tossing the hair that'd come with it in the trash.
"Okay, well maybe it'd be less-That."
"Ya."
"But I do it."
"I stay with you."
"Fine."
-
"Hey, girls." Said Cory, looking up from his newspaper.
"Notice anything different about her?" Asked Riley.
"Uh. You- lipstick?"
"No."
"New socks?"
"Really?"
"What?"
"Her hair."
"Oh. Ya."
"We got rid of the little left."
"It's not that noticeable, Maya. I didn't notice it."
"Thanks. I feel sick, though."
"Oh. That's why your upset." Said Tiley. Maya nodded, avoiding eye contact.
"I am so sorry I pushed you. I should have thought more. You should have said something."
"Riles. I was gonna be gone soon anyways."
"True."
"How was your date?" Asked Cory.
"You told him?"
"Maybe so." Said Riley.
"It wasn't anything."
"What? It didn't go well?"
"It went fine. But you don't talk in a movie theater and that's what we like to do."
"Farkle and I too. Maybe we need to plan better dates."
"Agreed."
-
"Maya. How'd it go?" Asked Cory before looking up from his stack of papers. His eyes finally raised to her upon having no answer. "Oh, Maya."
"The brain controls everything." She simply said before walking down the hallway.
"Topanga. Not this. The tumor can't be taking this away from her too. "It's temporal. Until they can get her to swallow."
"When's that?"
"I don't know."
"I've come to hate those words."
"Tell me about it."
"She never says she's hurting but she asks for Tramadol consistently."
"It's addictive. But I don't think that's why she asks."