14

"What's this you're painting?" Asked Mr.Jackson, sitting down on the stool next to Maya.
"It's nothing."
"No, no. What is it."
"Well. It's a girl standing alone in a box painted in white. And inside the box you can see it's dark, but there wrapping paper is bright. And I angled it for perspective."
"That's not what it is?"
"Oh. I'm sorry. Maybe I tried something too hard."
"No. I mean it looks like what you said and it's very good. I see improvement since I taught you, but what's it mean? Why the bright colors and black inside. Why the girl in white. Why is the gift bow tattered on the left? Your art has improved this way too. In the experiences you've had."
"When you're in the hospital, because it's for children and everything, it's  really bright and colorful. The walls are painted and there's fish tanks and all these distractions. But somethings always off, especially when you're not such a little kid and you know you're there because your dying. And you kinda feel like you already have." She said, pointing to the girl in white. "But your hearts still beating and you're trapped in this fake world."
"You know, even if you believe in heaven, you're family's not there."
"They are."
"The Matthews. Aren't they like your family?"
"How do you know that?"
"I might have listened in on a conversation between the nurse and Mr.Matthews."
"Oh."
"Well are they."
"Ya. But sometimes I just feel like a burden."
"You are anything but that to them, Maya. They want to help you."
"Thanks, Mr.Jackson." He smiled and stood back up, leaving Maya in the room.
"Hey." Said Lucas.
"Oh god. How long where you there?"
"Before you explained it."
"Oh. So you heard it."
"I knew you were suicidal before but still-