Mermaid Writing Practice

I'm bored, so why not practice mermaid writing?

I'm thinking of titling this book, "Leg Scales".

***

I sat on the beach, and stared at the blue, active waves as they slid against the sand on the beach. I smiled, and watched my younger brother, Jake, who is 10, splash and play with our dad.

I hid under the umbrella to keep cool, even though the sun was setting. I dug my feet in the cool sand, enjoying the day. Although my family comes to the beach very often, this beach never gets old.

I picked up a water bottle and took a long drink. I sat the water bottle down and watched Jake again. I laughed as he tried to wrestle Dad, but Dad was smart and did a move to throw Jake back in the water.

I heard something drop from behind. I took my eyes off Jake and looked. A mysterious glass bottle dropped in the sand. I looked for anyone who could have dropped it, but no one was near.

Suddenly, I saw a girl running away from our spot.

"Hello?" I called.

I jumped out of my seat, grabbed the wet bottle, and ran after her. She was heading for the rocks.

"Hello?!" I called louder.

She ignored me, and panicked to get behind the rocks.

My parents told me to never go behind them, because I might get stuck.

I held my breath as I looked behind. There was a tunnel, leading to the cave. I didn't know that was there. Did anyone know that was there except for the girl?

Well, the girl must've went in it, I thought.

I started to crawl, but the tunnel was steep, and I ended up sliding down instead of crawling. I entered a very small cave, and roof was high. Cold sand was at the floor, and I got sand between my feet and in my hair. The cave was very small, and it looked like it couldn't have leaded anywhere, because I didn't see another tunnel.

There has to be another way, the girl found one, I thought.

I stood up, and stopped. I heard water coming from the cave. I heard splashing. It was coming toward a wall. I noticed an opening spot in the wall, but it was high.

I bit my lip. I noticed the cave's wall. There were blocks of rock leading up to the opening, like stairs. I went up them, and went through the opening.

I saw water in a round pool, and an exit underwater. This pool was in another cave. Above the pool was another opening, but it was high, and it looked impossible to get up there. The hole in the ceiling above the pool only had shown the sky, which it was dark, because it was time for bed. I looked for the girl again. There was no way out, except for the tunnel under the water.

She must have gone underwater, I thought.

I bit my lip again, and walked in the pool of water. The cool water made me jump, but I slid right in.

All of a sudden, I saw the girl's face appear from the underwater exit. "Oh! There you are! I found-"

"What are you doing in here?" She cried.

I noticed her top, which was covered in scales. I looked at her legs to see if she had the same kind of design on her bottom bathing suit. Only, she didn't have legs. She had a big tail, also covered in scales.

I gasped, and jumped back from her, but stayed in the water. "You're a – a – a-" I couldn't speak.

"Mermaid," The girl answered for me. She sounded scared, but a different kind of scared from mine.

I gasped for air again.

"Look, just, you have to get out of the Ocean Pool! Get out!"

"Not until you tell me about yourself," I said stubbornly.

"My name is Margie. I'm twelve years old. I – Oh no! It's starting! Get out, get out, get out!" She rushed, pushing me back toward the steps leading in and out.

"Huh?! Wait! What?!" I cried, confused.

I looked up. The full moon was at the middle of the sky, shining bright on the pool. Water droplets magically floated to the pool. The pool was bubbling.

"What's happening?!" I shouted, looking at Margie.

Margie's face went white.

Suddenly, all went black.

***

Well? What do you think? I have a lot of mermaid books I want to do, and this happens to be only one of them.

"Leg Scales" might change to something different. The title is alright, but I think I want it to be something more, you know?

Anyway! Bye for now, mermaids!