two

"You know Smalls, you've definitely improved," I said throwing Smalls the ball. We were tossing a ball back and fourth on the grass in front of our houses. Today was the first day I didn't stay for a whole game in years.

Smalls and I were making pointless conversation about baseball or what Squints would look like if he never wore his massive glasses.

"I think he'd be squinting a lot," Smalls shrugged, throwing me the ball.

I laughed, "Smalls, you do know that's why we call him that, right?"

Smalls thought for a moment before saying, "Yeah, yeah. I knew that."

"Now you just sound like Yeah-Yeah."

Smalls laughed, usually I'd be do doing this with Benny, but considering our recent circumstances I'd much rather hang out with Smalls.

"Scotty! It's dinner," Small's mom called from his front door. It was strange hearing his first name, I dont think I have ever actually called him "Scotty" in the year I've known him.

"Later Blair," he smied before running towards his home. "Wait, Blair are you coming to the sandlot tomorrow?"

I nodded, I can't let my summer go to waste just because I want to kill Benny.

Smalls went inside, leaving me to collect my ball and glove. Small's aim isn't the greatest yet so I needed to search for the ball in the bushes behind me.

A screen door creaked opened, but not just any screen door. It was Benny's screen door.

I grabbed the ball and walked straight for my house ignoring him calling my name. I told him earlier that I won't be forgiving him today so I don't see the point in him doing this.

"Damn it Blair," he said.

I stopped and turned my head to snap a sarcastic remark but was cut off by him picking me up over is shoulder, allowing me to dangle down his back. He was much stronger than he looked might I say.

I couldn't see much considering I was facing his back but I guessed we were going to his house.

"Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez, I am going to kill you!" I yelled. I'm sure half the neighborhood heard me and were probably looking out their windows at the event taking place.

Benny opened his door and I swear we, well he wasn't one foot in the house until his mother yelled, "Benjamin put the poor girl down!"

"Hi Mrs. Rodriguez," I said, still resting on Benny's shoulder.

"I will ma," Benny said walking us down his hallway. He dropped me on his bed and I felt faint or a second. I let the blood run back throughout my body normally before I began my speech.

"BENNY WHAT THE HELL!" I yelled. Yes, yelled as the Rodriguez's really don't care at this point.

"I didn't know what else to do you wouldn't speak to me!" He replied.

"I talked to you this morning you idiot! Why would you feel the need to kidnap me?!''

"Because I'm bored! Usually I'm hanging out with you right now!"

"Well I was the one hanging!" I snapped referring to when I was thrown over his shoulder.

Benny let out a laugh, but quickly covered it up when he realized my blank expression, "Look, Blair. I'm sorry for the way I acted the past school year, and I'm sorry for today, but ever since the kiss-"

"THE WHAT?!" Mrs. Rodriguez yelled from the kitchen.

Benny yelled something in Spanish, it echoing throughout his house.

He sighed, "ever since the kiss, I don't know Blair I've just felt different."

"Well Benny I'd really appreciate it if you'd conceal the 'feelings' you have until the end of the summer, and you can't keep throwing in those little random ones!" I cried, referring to the confusing kissing. "One moment youre Benny and the other youre the 'I care too deeply' Benny. Just pick one for crying out loud!" I groaned flopping down on his comforter.

He stayed silent for a few seconds before lying next to me. "How many baseball cards do you have?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, "what? Benny what does that have to do with anything?"

"I'm being the normal Benny. How many cards do you have?"

I couldn't help but grin, "37."

Benny turned his head to face me, "I'm still beating you by 102."

I nudged him with my elbow, "I have a social life."

Benny laughed, "What social life? You hang out with the guys and I."

I forgot how nice it was to laugh with Benny again, but this time it wasn't a forced one like the ones I've been conjuring up the last few months.

Benny and I hung out until it got too late, and my mother called the Rodriguez land line telling me it was time to come home.

---
"Any day now Blair," Bertram sighed as I scanned the candy rack at the drugstore.

"How can they not have any sour gummy worms?" I mumbled, crouching down to search the very bottom.

"Blair, they have none just get the normal ones," Bertram groaned, shoving the normal and might I say boring gummy worms in my face.

"No. They're around here somewhere," I replied walking down the isle.

I had forced Bertram into coming with me to find some sour gummy worms, those were my favorite and I wouldn't eat the normal ones.

"Ah-ha!" I cried snatching the sour gummy worms from a rack.

Bertram sighed in relief, "finally!"

I rolled my eyes at his back and paid for my gummy worms, eating them by fives on the way to the sandlot.

"I told you I'd find them," I said to Bertram, my mouth filled with gummy worms.

"Yes! You told me the whole fifteen minutes you were looking!" He replied.

"Hostile," I mumbled, dropping another candy into my mouth.

As we entered the lot, everyone let a groan of relief. "Took you guys long enough!" Squints yelled from the overhang.

"Oh shut it 4-eyes we're here now aren't we?" I snapped crumpling up my wrapper and stuffing it into my jean pocket.

"It took her fifteen minutes to find gummy worms! Fifteen minutes!" Bertram cried.

Benny smirked, "She's very particular about her gummy worms."

"Not the only thing I'm particular about," I mumbled.

A/n: two chapters in one day, that definitely shows what little social life I have. I didn't proof read so please excuse any grammar/spelling / capitalization mistakes.
xx- ash