three

I woke up to my doorbell ringing on a constant loop. Groaning, I rolled over to check the time on my clock.

"Blair!" Chris, my older brother shouted from his room down the hall. He was home from Arizona State, "get the door!"

I groaned and practically ran into the wall, I was half asleep what can I say.

"Benny," I yawned. "Benny! What the hell do you want? It's like seven in the morning we weren't supposed to meet until 8:30."

Benny smiled, "go get dressed I'll be out here."

"Hell no, I'm going back to bed." I shut the door but Benny caught it swinging it back open.

"Blairanna Alice Mercer, you are going to get dressed and we are going downtown."

I considered the offer for a moment, "no."

"Please."

"No."

"Please."

"No."

"I'll buy you gummy worms?"

"Sour?"

"Of course."

"I'll be out in 5." I shut the door and made my way back to my bedroom, I'm a sucker for gummy worms.

"Gummy worms at 7:30 in the morning," Benny stated as we walked down the empty streets of town.

I glared at him out of the side of my eye, "it's an addiction."

He laughed, "I wouldn't think gummy worms would be."

"You'd be suprised." I dumped the remainder of the candies in my mouth.

Benny turned his head at me and smiled, he opened his mouth to say something but quickly shut it.

''Let's go to the sandlot, " I said, tossing the empty gummy worm bag into a trashcan.

"Sounds good," he mumbled.

-

"Ready for this one, Blair?" Kenny smirked tossing the ball in the air.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I held the bat in the air.

Hitting the ball, I dropped the splintery bat and ran from base to base. Practically patting myself on the back for making it to home.

"Go Blair!" Smalls cheered. I grinned, nearly rubbing into Timmy as I hit home base.

"I'm hungry!" Ham exclaimed from first base.

"When are you not?" I yelled, grabbing a pop from the cooler. It was now lunch time and to be honest, I was quite hungry too. The only thing I had eaten was a bag of gummy worms.

"Can we go to the diner?" Ham questioned, ignoring my comment.

"Yeah, can we?" Kenny asked, tossing the ball in the air.

Benny sighed, "come on guys!"

"Benny man we're hungry!" Smalls yelled, throwing his glove down.

Ham stuffed his glove in his back pocket and shrugged, "I'm going to the diner. You can join me if you'd like."

I set my soda down and followed Ham out, soon everyone joining us. Even Benny although he was pouting. The diner we would go to every once in a while was a run down mess but had super good fries. It was just a five minute walk from the Sandlot and was incredibly cheap. The grill cook, Stan and the waitress, Joanne were usually the only employees there considering it wasn't very popular.

"I love the smell of grease at lunch time." Ham opened the worn door to the empty diner and took a seat at the counter.

"Hey there guys," Joanne smiled exiting the kitchen. "What can I get for ya?"

We all were sat in a row, filling up all the seats at the counter and ordered milkshakes.

"Benny, why are you always so upset to come here?" I asked, stirring my milkshake with a straw.

He shrugged, "it's just a waste of daylight. I'd rather be out playing."

I laughed, "eating is a waste of daylight?"

"Yes," he mumbled, sipping his milkshake.

---

I don't think any summer will beat the summer of 62'. Sure, it was stressful and terrifying at times. I mean, if the new kid hit a ball signed by Babe Ruth went over a fence where you could never get it back, it'd probably be pretty traumatizing. Which it was.

a/n: sorry for the super short chapter guys. I'm having writer's block and needed a new start. I FOUND AN OLD ACC BASED ON MY LOVELY OUTSIDERS AND I WROTE A TERRIBLE FANFIC ON THEM IT'S SOOSOOSO BAD I HADE TO DELETE IT. I didn't proof read this fyi so sorry for mistakes.