nine

Benny and I were sat behind the drugstore eating a candy bar in silence. We ditched the boys at the diner so we could 'talk'.

"What's wrong, Blair?" Benny finally spoke.

I pursed my lips, thinking of a response to this question that I don't even know the answer to. "I- I don't know Benny, I really just don't know."

He stayed quiet for a few minutes, the most agonizing few minutes of my entire life. The worst part was, he knew this was about him. Benny knew me way too well to know it wasn't.

"It is about us, right?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Well what? Do you just not want to  be with me? Is it commitment or something Blair? What are you so afraid of?"

"You," I replied. "I am afraid that if we do... end up together then we either break up or get married. You're my best friend Benny, if this doesn't work it wouldn't ever be the same."

Benny grabbed my hand and made me look at him, "we can worry about that when the time comes, okay?"

I nodded, leaning into his side. Maybe we would figure it all out.

---

"I want to die," Kenny said resting his forehead on his locker.

I laughed, "what's got you down, Kenny?"

Kenny hesitate before quickly blurting out, "I met a girl!"

"What?!" I cried. "Who? Kenny who is this lucky chick?"

Kenny cranned his neck to look around the hallway before stopping at a brown haired girl talking with her friends.

"See the girl with the straight brown hair?"

I nodded.

"That's her," he smiled.

She was pretty, her hair was pin straight and she was really tan.

"She's cute, Ken. And she's looking your way."

Kenny glanced behind him, she waved. Kenny almost fainted.

"What's her name?" I asked nodding in her direction.

"Huh? Oh, Kelly."

I bit the inside if my cheek. Seeing the boys actually interested in girls was weird. I mean, yes the 'Wendy Peffercorn incident' definitely counts but nobody but Benny had even the slightest chance with her. Now they have some chances with a few select girls around school.

Kenny told me he'd see me later and waltzed off over to Kelly. I stopped at my locker when I was faced with the most obnoxious person ever.

"Hello, Blair," he smiled.

I rolled my eyes, "what is it you want, Griffin?"

Griffin Riggs was extremely attractive, but he was a total asshole and was very annoying as well. He's had a crush on me since the 1st grade and hasn't given up despite my clear dislike for him.

"Do you wanna go to the fair with me?" He grinned showing off his perfect teeth and dimples.

I clenched my jaw, "I'm busy that day."

Griffin leaned closer in and scoffed at my response, "I haven't even told you a day yet."

"Don't need too." I shrugged. "I'm always busy avoiding you."

Griffin cocked an eyebrow, "well aren't you feisty?"

I sighed, "Griffin if you don't leave I swear to God I will punch you so hard in the face your nose will cave in."

He put his hands up in defeat, "I'll get you someday, Mercer." Griffin winked and stalked off to his other equally annoying friends.

"I'll get you someday, Mercer." I jumped, nearly smacking my head on my locker.

All it was was Carman, smirking at my side.

I rested a hand over my racing heart, "Jeez Car! Way to scare the crap outta' me."

Carman snickered, "I don't understand it B, you have all the cute boys drooling over you! I mean, I do understand why youre like super pretty and I mean, you do have a butt, anyways-"

I laughed, "Carman! I do not have all the cute boys, and they are not drooling over me."

"As if! You're sooo clueless Blair, they're practically on their knees begging for Blair Mercer to give em' hea-"

"Carman! Again, no!" I cut her off again, already knowing how that awful sentence was going to end.

I ruffled through my many books and paper to find my chemistry text book hidden in the mess.

"Woo! Smokin' hot boyfriend two o'clock!" Said Carman. Benny was walking down the hallway with three of his friends.

"Alright, see you guys later," Benny smiled as he approached us.

"And he his not my boyfriend," I mumbled to Carman.

Benny winked at Carman.

"You guys suck." I shut my locker and stuck my tongue out at Benny.

He smirked at my lame attempt to offend him and leaned up to my locker.

"My mom's here I'll see you guys later, I know you're dying to suck each other's faces off," Carman smiled before stalking off to the front of school.

"Well she wasn't wrong," Benny turned me against the wall and kissed me. Carman wasn't wrong, I most definitely did want to suck Benny's face off, and we did! Until Mr. Runuion screwed it up.

"Benjamin Rodriguez, Blair Mercer," he sounded. "What is your need to do this... activity in school?"

Benny cleared his throat, "well, Mr. Runuion school is over. So I don't see the problem here."

Mr. Runuion narrowed his eyes at us, "well, Mr. Rodriguez, you are still on school property so I find this highly inappropriate. I suggest you do that off school grounds."

Benny slung his arm over my shoulders and lead me towards the door, as soon as we left we let out the laughs we were containing for that whole lecture.

"He's such a downer Blair! God, just because you can't get a girl to kiss you let alone stand in the same room with you for too long!" He complained.

"Shut up and kiss me," I grabbed his shirt and pulled him towards me, oh how I love being off school property.