Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"Poseidon?" Calla frowns. "Doesn't that seem too... obvious?"

I scoff, snatching up Pluto when he stalks past and letting him curl up on my stomach. "Yes, but when has Poseidon ever been subtle?"

"That is true, but..." Calla hesitates, looking unconvinced. "Are you sure you want to rely the precarious situation of rescuing Hades on the assumption that Poseidon is not subtle?"

"Think about it Cal." I scratch the back of Pluto's neck, smiling slightly as he purrs in content. "Who else has the power to debilitate Hades and kidnap him all in one foul swoop? Only another god, and a powerful one at that. Add to the mix that Poseidon is the only powerful god who has control over water and earthquakes and he kind of hates Hades and I; it's kind of obvious who it has to be. It can't really be anyone else."

"But are you sure?" She still doesn't look convinced. "Because if it isn't Poseidon, and you spend all your time trying to find where he has Hades only to discover it's someone else, I don't know-"

"It's Poseidon." I tell her firmly. "I can feel it in my gut, and my gut feelings haven't let me down this far."

"Okay." Calla shrugs, sitting down on a chair opposite me; apparently she's decided to abandon all thoughts of getting any cleaning done. "Now that you're... sure who has Hades, how are you going to find out where Poseidon is keeping him?"

I hold up the book, mumbling a quick apology to Pluto when he huffs in discontent at being disturbed. "Research."

"Research?" She's back to sounding dubious. "Wouldn't it just be easier to wait for Spencer to return-"

The opening of the library doors interrupts her, and Calla cuts herself off as she glances over my shoulder.

"Why are we waiting for that twit to return?" Someone asks, and when I twist to look over my shoulder my suspicions that it's Kezia are confirmed. Her eyes widen a fraction when she notices me sprawled across the sofa. "Oh thank the lord you finally left that damn room! I really wasn't looking forward to threatening you; I've grown rather fond of you, I've got to admit."

I roll my eyes. "Well, I'm glad to know that after all these you've grown rather 'fond' of me. It's so reassuring to know our friendship means that much to you."

"I don't know why you have that offensively sarcastic tone to your voice; it's because our friendship means that much to me that I threatened you!" She insists earnestly, but the mischievous twinkle in her eyes contradict her sincerity. She perches on the arm of Calla's chair, kicking her feet up on Calla's lap. "Why did you leave that room, by the way?"

"My ears were scared?" I offer, and she grins devilishly. "You literally and metaphorically smacked away all the cobwebs that were clouding up my brain?"

That wasn't exactly a lie either; what she'd said to me had cleared up my mind and made me realise what I had to do; now that my mind was clear, I was determined to do everything I could to find Hades.

Move over knight in shining armour; Evie in the shining beanie is ready to tear up the town.

Kezia hums thoughtfully. "Yes, you're getting warmer, but that's still not quite it."

"I don't trust Spencer?"

She nods. "Ah, yes, that sounds more like it."

"Get your feet off me, you big oaf." Calla grumps, shoving Kezia's big black boots off her lap.

"Aw, I love you too, you insufferable twig." Kezia coos, pinching Calla's cheeks. Calla grunts non-commitedly, pouting at Kezia, and Kezia throws her arm around Calla with a victorious smirk. She returns her attention back to me, rolling her eyes at the amused look on my face. "So, tell me your majesty, why have you dragged your pale little ass into the library of all places?"