Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Evie?" Axel gapes at me, the most dopey-confused expression on his face. "Did I just travel back five hours without realising it?"

I push past him and storm into their cottage, rubbing my arms agitatedly. Selene looks up at the movement, a frown creasing her forehead when she sees it's me.

"Evie? What are you doing here? We told you not to come see us until-"

"Yeah, I know that." I wave my hands distractedly, pacing back and forth in the middle of the room.

"Then why are you pacing around our living room in your pajamas?" She asks amusingly, drying her hands on her dark green harem pants. "And where are your shoes?"

I chew on my fingernails in distress; a habit I thought I'd dropped years ago. "I had a dream about Hades."

Selene shoots me a quizzical look, and I can tell she doesn't understand the significance; but from the way Axel snaps to attention behind me, I can tell he's immediately worried by the fact that I had a dream about Hades.

"What happened in the dream Evie?" He asks me seriously, folding his arms over his chest.

I let out a shaky breath and give him a brief run-down of what happened, not leaving out a single detail. When I've finished, he doesn't say anything for several long minutes, sharing an unreadable look with Selene.

"Well? I didn't just come up here to tell you guys and be rewarded with silence." I exclaim. "Say something!"

"I have only one question." Selene says, her face thoughtful.

"What?"

"What did the fish look like?"

"The fish?" I gape at her, dumbfounded by her completely random question. "Why do you want to know about the fish?"

"Just answer the question Evie." She replies calmly, and I huff impatiently.

"They were colourful! Don't give me that look Selene, I don't know what to tell you! I mean, I guess they kind of looking like those blenny fish I used to have in my tropical tank; but that's all I can tell you, I didn't really pay much attention to the freaking fish!" I shrug, looking over at Axel. "Please, please tell me you have something more relevant to say other than what the fish looked like."

"Well, I'm not sure it was a prophecy." He replies slowly, tapping his fingers on his forearm. "But it wasn't just a normal dream either."

"Well?" I throw my hands up in the air, unable to keep still for more than a second. "What was it?"

"I don't know E." Axel sighs, glancing over at Selene. She shrugs slightly, looking completely lost.

I huff in frustration. "Come on Axel! You're supposed to be the god of prophecy; how can you not know what my freaking dream was?"

"Just because I'm the god of prophecy doesn't mean I know everything Evie." He chuckles, the smile dropping off his face when he catches my unamused expression. "Look, do you really want to know what I think?"

"Yes, please Axel." I run a shaking hand through my hair, faltering for a few seconds to unscramble my thoughts. "Because I don't know what to think right now, so anything you can suggest will help untangle the great mess that is my head right now."

"Okay." He pauses, twisting his lips to the side in consternation. I clear my throat loudly, giving him a pointed look. "Okay, here's what I think. I think that it wasn't a dream-"

"Wow, shocking." I drawl sarcastically.

He narrows his eyes at me. "I'm serious Evie. Look, from what you described, it sounds like what you dreamed actually happened."