Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I stare at him in complete shock, cold shivers trickling down the back of my spine. "Spencer! Axel!"

They burst in the room, and I think the guilty expressions on their faces are worse than the furious one on Hades'. I point at him with a shaking finger. "He can't remember me. Why can't he remember me?"

They glance at each other, looking torn. Spencer finally clears his throat, and starts forward. "The thing is Evie-"

"Evie?" Hades suddenly speaks up, an arctic look on his face that feels like it's piercing my very soul with it's deadly icy barbs.

I swallow, my mouth dry and full of cotton wool, words completely withering away in my throat and leaving me speechless. He's never spoken to me like that; not even when we first met, and his walls were still sky high.

What's going on?

Axel takes one look at our contrastingly different emotions and jumps in, speaking in a low tone to Hades. "You remember when I said earlier that things happened which you don't remember? Evie is one of them."

"You're Evie?" Hades' withering glare doesn't budge from me. "Who are you?"

I want to scream exactly who I am at him, but I'm still speechless; I want to shake him and demand what's going on, why he can't remember me, but I can't. I physically can't bring myself to speak. I finally manage to open my mouth to say something, but all that comes out is an unintelligible squeak. Hades narrows his eyes at me, eyeing me with as much care and respect as one would when they found a disgusting piece of filth stuck to the bottom of their shoe.

"I would have thought, given the extreme torture methods my brother employed to gain knowledge of your whereabouts, that you would be more important, and worth my time. Obviously, I was mistaken."

With that, he disappears from my room, before he can shoot another well-aimed missile into my heart.

I swallow dryly, and it takes me several attempts at trying to talk without my voice wobbling. Spencer and Axel silently watch me, varying degrees of guilt and sympathy littering their features.

"Why-why can't he remember me?"

So much for not making my voice wobble.

"We don't..." Spencer hesitates. "Know."

I clasp my hands before my face, barely able to contain the emotions roiling inside me like a pot of bubbling water. "How can you not know Spencer? How can you not know why he has forgotten me? How can you not know?!" My fury boils over the edges of the pot and scalds me, causing my voice to rise to a high-pitched shout.

"Evie." Axel says my name sharply, cutting through my hysteria. "It's not our fault. Spencer's right; we don't know why he doesn't know who you are."

"We thought you might be able to help us with that." Spencer adds.

"Okay. Fine." I nod several times, swallowing back the golf ball lodged in the back of my throat in a pathetic attempt to concentrate. "What happened?"

Axel shares a look with Spencer. "It was...odd."

"Odd how?" I fold my arms over my chest tightly.

"Something wasn't right." Axel tells me. "It was almost too easy for us to find him and rescue him."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"Not really." Spencer sighs, scratching the back of his head. "Evie, it was so easy, it was almost like Poseidon wanted us to find him and rescue him."