Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Ironically enough, the first sense to return was feeling.

I felt like I was floating between the dreams of my unconscious and reality. Nothing felt real; it felt like it had substance but at the same time it felt transparent, like it was made of cotton wool.

The next sense to return was sight.

It flickered in and out of my consciousness, like I was watching an old television in dire need of repair; and though I tried to grasp at the images, tried to shake the remote in an attempt to make the television work for more than a few seconds, they always evaded me and faded out of view before I could ascertain what they were.

The last sense to return was hearing.

The more the television images stayed, the more noise filtered in. At first it was just wisps of sound, like a static radio, but as I gradually regained consciousness and the blurry images cleared, the static cleared up to one distinct sound. And it was the last sound in the universe that I ever wanted to hear.

It was the sound of Hades brokenly whispering my name, over and over again.

The more I come to, the more I become aware of my surroundings. Although I still can't open my eyes, I can feel Hades' arms encircling and holding me close, can hear the crashing of the waves in the distance. I realise in that instant that I mustn't be near the ocean anymore; Hades must have retrieved me from the water, seeing as the last thing I was aware of was my body shattering on the jagged rocks at the end of the cliff and the frigid water lapping at my mangled limbs. I try to move to let Hades know that I'm okay, but quickly discover that I can't move a single muscle. I can't even open my lips the barest amount to whisper his name. It feels like every single cell in my body has been robbed of it's most basic functions.

I'm completely paralyzed.

Hades doesn't seem to realise that I'm not dead, and I almost burst into tears at the way his voice cracks when he murmurs my name. Desperation claws at my throat the more I hear how broken he is, so I resort to other methods to reach out to him.

Hades? I timidly reach out with my mind, determinedly pushing past the sharp ache that's eating away at my muscles and rendering me otherwise motionless.

His response is instantaneous. Evie?

The unchartered hope in his voice spreads warmth through me, like pure sunshine shooting through my veins, and it motivates me enough to creak my eyes open a crack, ignoring the exploding agony that one small action brings. Still alive.

Hades' handsome face fills up my entire vision, his midnight-blue eyes brimming with so many wild emotions that it actually makes my head dizzy. I thought... He cuts himself off, and I see him swallow hard.

I try to smile at him, but it's too no avail. I adopt an internally teasing voice instead. Aww, were you upset because you thought I died? You really do care.

He gives me a look that sends shivers rocketing down my spine. Agápi mou, I never stopped caring.

That's debatable.

He brushes my hair out of my face, his hands shaking slightly. How is this possible?

I don't... Suddenly, realisation dawns on me, and if I could open my eyes anymore without feeling like a thousand needles are being stabbed into them, they would probably be as wide as saucers. The Tartarus crystal. The Tartarus crystal saved me.

Of course. He lets out a long breath, leaning his forehead against mine. Agápi mou, don't you ever do that to me again.

Don't worry, I don't exactly want to relive that particular experience. I reply wryly. I go to lift my head, but discover that I'm still paralyzed. Hades, I can't move.