Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

I stalk back through the palace, my hands balled into fists at my side as I not-so-silently mutter profanities under my breath. How dare he say I'm being petulant, childish and self-centered? He doesn't even know who I am; he can't base his entire judgment of my character off the past few days! Of course I've been a little distracted, and yes, I'll admit, wallowing a tiny bit in self-pity; but who wouldn't when they found out that the person they had fallen in love with had absolutely no recollection of who they were, whatsoever?

Frankly, I'm impressed that I've managed to continue about my daily routine, and not spend hours on my bed sobbing into my pillow like some distressed Disney princess.

Petulant, childish and self-centered. Who the hell does he think he is, calling me petulant, childish and self-centered? Who just spent the last two months of her life, trying to rescue his ungrateful ass from his brother's torture dungeon? What petulant, childish and self-centered person would practically sacrifice their life to fight a giant snake so they could rescue him?

He just doesn't know what he's saying. He's still delusional, and confused by losing his memory.

I nod to myself, slowly relaxing my fists. Yes, that must be it. He's not in his right frame of mind, that's all. He didn't really mean it; it's the first time he really 'met' me, and he was just as fired up as I was. We both said things we weren't proud of, and I'm sure he'll regret it once he remembers everything.

Right?

"Evie!" Someone grabs my wrist just as I reach my room, and when I reluctantly turn around, I'm greeted by the equally concerned faces of Calla and Kezia.

I tug my hand out of Calla's grip and push past them into my room. "What?"

"Are we seriously not going to talk about that?" Calla presses, sharing a glance with Kezia as they trail behind me despite my efforts to try and shut the door in their faces.

"Talk about what?" I ask testily, throwing myself down on my couch and closing my eyes. They don't reply but I feel a presence hovering over my face, and when I grudgingly open one eye, they're both staring at me. I groan and roll my eyes at them. "Why are you both staring at me like that? Talk about what?"

"Uh, about what just happened?" Kezia exclaims, throwing her hands up in the air. "About you and Hades exchanging verbal blows? About you throwing a book?"

"You guys have never talked to each other like that!" Calla adds on, her brown doe-eyes wide. "Not once!"

"He was being unreasonable." I grump. "He called me petulant, childish and self-centered. Me!"

"That's what we mean!" Kezia cries, waving her hands around in the air. "What was that?"

"I don't know why you're asking me!" I snap. "I didn't call myself those things! If you want answers, talk to him!"

"Well, what about you?" Kezia questions.

"What do you mean, what about me?"

"Did you mean what you said?" Calla asks timidly.

I sigh, pushing myself up to a seated position. "Of course I didn't mean those things Calla. But you know me; I can't stop myself retaliating when someone insults me."

"That is a good point. At least she didn't punch him when he insulted her." Kezia glowers at me, no doubt remembering the countless times I may or may not have decked her when she didn't keep her sassy remarks in check. "Actually, now that I think about it, why didn't you punch him?"