Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

My whole being freezes like I've been impaled with an icicle. "You found him?"

Calla and Kezia both inhale sharply, their eyes going wide with disbelief. Kezia clears her throat, sharing a glance with Calla as they sidle towards the door. "We're just going to... go clean... something."

I barely notice them leaving, my entire being too focused on the person standing in front of me.

"Yes." Spencer affirms, and my heart leaps out of my chest. He tilts his head to the side. "Well, not exactly."

"What do you mean not exactly?" I demand. "Have you found him or not?"

"No?" He tells me hesitantly, eyeing me warily when I go completely silent.

Then I hit him. Repeatedly.

"Why," - smack - "would you," - smack - "get my," - smack - "hopes up," - smack - "like that?!" I keep hitting him until I'm so physically exhausted that my punches are more like pathetic caresses trying to be painful. Spencer grabs my wrists, so I resort to glaring furiously at him. "What the shit Spencer?!"

"I'm sorry!" He apologises hastily, squeezing my wrists.

I swallow hard, all the fight leaving me like I've been socked in the stomach. "Well then what the hell were you doing? Why would you mislead me like that?"

"Because I'm an asshole?" He offers up weakly. I give him a look. "Okay, but I'm being serious Evie, we did find something."

"What?"

"We know who took Hades." He says, his joking expression growing serious. "It's Poseidon."

I hit him again. "Even I know that Spencer! Is that the only thing you've found out in the last two weeks? Even I've probably done more than you, and I've been relying on musty old mythology books!"

"No Evie, of course that's not the only thing we've found out!" Spencer protests. "Look, Sel , Axel and I have been trying our best to figure out where Hades is, but we've had to be very careful and very discreet about it all. Poseidon's right on our tails, and he's looking for any excuse to start a war."

"A war? Are you kidding me?" I gape at him. "Why is he wanting to start a war?"

He heaves a sigh. "It's probably better if you come and see the twins so we can all explain it to you. Can you spare a few minutes to come back up with me?"

I frown, glancing around for confirmation, but of course Calla and Kezia can't answer me; they ran away, the traitors. "Yeah, I guess I can. But I'll make my own way up."

"How?"

I tap the beanie on my head. "Hades' helm can transport me around."

"Oh. Right. Forgot that was Satan's twinkly helmet in disguise." Spencer shrugs dismissively, giving me a once-over, and I suddenly feel very self-conscious in my black tights and Hades' black shirt (which I'd religiously decided to wear every day, despite Calla's very vocal horror). "I'll meet you up at the twins cabin, okay? But put some shoes and a sweater on first, it's getting kind of cold up there. The weather's all out of whack."

"Okay." I nod, and when I next blink he's gone.

Without waiting another second, I tug the beanie down over my ears, mentally ordering Hades' helm transport me to my room. As soon as my room manifests around me, the two heads I notice sitting on my sofa swivel around to reveal Calla and Kezia. I stride past them, heading for my wardrobe.

"I thought you were cleaning something."

Kezia scoffs. "How dumb are you? I don't clean."