Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"Who is that funky looking donkey, and what is he doing in my kitchen?"

I fight back a laugh as Dorian splutters in offense behind me. "Excuse you, at worst I am at least a decent looking donkey."

Kezia spins around, coincidentally holding a knife in her hand. She points it at him with a nonchalant expression. "Sorry, what was that?"

Dorian visibly blanches and steps behind me. He mumbles under his breath. "I'm still a pretty donkey. Tell her I'm a pretty donkey Evie."

I lose my struggle and burst out laughing, ignoring the glare he directs my way. Kezia arches an eyebrow at me.

"You still haven't answered my question, your majesty."

That wipes the grin off my face. This time Dorian isn't the only one with a foul look on his face. "What question?"

She points her knife at Dorian again. "Funky looking donkey. Who is he?"

"This is Dorian." I gesture to him. "Dorian, Kezia. Kezia, Dorian."

"This is Dorian?" Kezia stares at him disbelievingly. "This is the arrogant twit you hate?"

Dorian steps forward purely so I can see the offended look on his face. "Okay, so should I comment on the fact that you hate me, called me a twit, or gossiped about me behind my back?"

"I'm a girl Dorian. I gossip with my friends." I reply dryly. "What, did you really think I would be singing your praises after we first met?"

"Honestly, you're lucky Selene held her back. She gets a little testy when people insult her or Hades." Kezia looks him up and down. "She could've taken you."

"So what happens when Hades is the one insulting her?" Dorian drawls, and I wince.

Kezia pauses, turning around to face us. "She makes bad decisions. Why?"

I shoot her a scowl. "Don't encourage him."

"Evie." She warns in a reprimanding tone. "What did you do?"

"Nothing!" I protest.

Dorian grins and rats me out. "She made a deal with Hades."

"Evie!" Kezia groans. "What have we told you about you and your stupid deals?"

"It's not a stupid deal!" I insist indignantly. "It was the only way I could protect him and make sure he didn't do something stupid."

"Bullshit." Dorian coughs.

I glare fiercely at him. "You, shut up. Before I regret helping you."

"Oh yes, by making me a demon." He replies sarcastically. "I'm so honoured; how am I ever going to repay such a kindness?"

Kezia sighs, looking like a disapproving mother. "What was the deal you made with Hades, Evie?"

"If I win the deal, he stops acting like he's got a permanent stick up his ass and help me reverse his amnesia so he can help us fight Poseidon." I start, before lowering my voice to a mumble and avoiding her gaze. "And if he wins, I stop helping and I have to leave him alone. Forever."

"Oh my god, Evie!" Kezia cuffs my head several times, only stopping when I duck out of the way with a wounded yelp. I pout at her, and she glares at me. "What the hell is this all riding on then? What do you have to win? Please tell me it's something you're good at."

"Wait for it." Dorian grins, and I elbow him hard.

"A poker game."

She stops dead. "You have got to be kidding me."