Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"Okay, I have another question."

Dorian groans in exasperation. "Do you ever shut up?"

"Aw, am I annoying you, sweetheart?" I jeer, tripping over my feet and almost face-planting into a rock, but luckily Dorian's hand shoots out and steadies me. I blush profusely; curse my lack of coordination, it's completely undermining all my attempts to annoy him.

Dorian gives me a look. "Nice try Evie, but the next time you try to mock me, make sure you and your jests have a steady base so you don't end up flopping on that pretty little face of yours."

I scowl and throw a pebble at his back, flashing him an innocent smile when he turns around to narrow his eyes at me.

"So, about my question..."

"Sweetheart, as much as I enjoy hearing that lovely little voice of yours, there is a reason I suggested we stay silent."

I huff indignantly. "There's nobody around!"

"Astute observation." He remarks dryly. "And I'd really like to keep it that way. Unlike you, I can't hide myself from visual perception when the bad guys flock to your whining voice like moths to a flame. Which will happen if you keep asking your damn questions!"

"It's only one question!" I protest, slapping away the hand he offers as I tug myself up over a large rock. He shrugs and carries on, pulling back the branches just enough that they smack me in the face when I follow up behind him. I mutter various expletives under my breath, scowling at the back of his head.

He snickers. "Well, then I guess it won't be too much of a problem for you to bottle that little question up until we're not on a mission that depends on silence."

"Fine." I harrumph, crossing my arms over my chest. Awkward silence ensues, until an idea strikes me. I grin, and start singing under my breath.

"Somewhere, over the rainbow-"

"Oh my god woman, don't you dare." Dorian growls, hints of frustration deepening his tone.

"Way up high," I continue singing, raising my voice the more I sing. "And the dreams that you dreamed of once in a lullaby-"

Dorian lets out a strangled noise of frustration and whirls around. "You know, somewhere out there, there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen just so you can be this irritating. I think you owe both it and me an apology."

"Oh, I'm sorry." I widen my eyes and blink at him innocently. "Am I making too much noise?"

"How does Hades put up with how annoying you are?"

I beam at him. "He finds it endearing."

"Well I don't." He groans, rubbing his forehead. "So please woman, keep your trap shut so nobody will find us!"

"I will if you answer my question."

"Seriously?" He exclaims in disbelief. "No!"

"Your choice." I shrug. "Somewhere over the rainbow-"

He slaps his hand over my mouth and makes several shushing noises. I slam my hands down on my hips and give him a look. He rolls his eyes several times and finally groans in defeat. His hand drops from my mouth. "What is your question?"

"Yes!" I grin, punching the air victoriously. He gives me a hard look, and I sober up a little. "Okay, I'm sorry."

"What is your goddamn question sweetheart?" He growls, sounding exasperated.