Chapter 18

I clenched my fist.

What the hell just happened?!

He appeared in a blink of an eye and disappeared just as fast.

I blinked before setting my mind straight. I must have been seeing things. But deep down I knew it was very real. I subconsciously touched my cheek where he had caressed a brief moment ago.

I shook that encounter from my mind. I needed to focus on the present. From the balcony view I could see Yuki following after Maria.

How very odd.

I looked back and in the ballroom. Everyone was happy and disregarded what had happened. This moment reminded me of something, but from where?

I shook my head before turning around. I carefully leapt onto a tree branch before swinging down and landing on the floor. I hurried after Yuki, I had a bad feeling something bad was going to happen. And well, Yuki was a bit of an airhead.

I immediately followed after her into an abandoned building. I quietly followed Yuki from a distance where I could see where she was going. Luckily the room Maria and Yuki entered was still slightly open, so I could leer inside.

I could hear a few words in their conversation. Something along the lines of  "Do you want to help Zero?..." And "let me drink your blood...". I was about to make my move. There was no way I would let Maria feast upon Yuki.

As I got ready to barge in, what I didn't expect was a sword to be placed besides me neck.

I narrowed my eyes, "You do know pointing your sword at a lady is rude?"

"And so is eavesdropping," a cool masculine voice replied.

We both entered the room, and much to my surprise, Maria was actually unconscious. Besides her was a vaguely familiar figure.

Where have I seen her before?

Recognition seemed to have flashed in her eyes but it quickly disappeared as it came.

"My my, I didn't know we had another guest," the beautiful lady with long Snow White hair said before rising from the couch she previously occupied and made her way towards me.

Unexpectedly she caressed me face and held a small sad smile.

Did she know me? Yet I do not recall her in my memories.

"I'm Shizuka Hio. You must know why I'm here," She gave me a sad smile before retreating back to her seat on the sofa.

Ah so she is Shizuka. She is well known in the Hunters association. She did kill one of the best families in the business. She did it for love.

"Akahina!! You shouldn't have followed me! I'm going to save Zero!" Yuki exclaimed before sitting next to Shizuka.

"Yet, Yuki. Why would your blood help Zero..." I tried to reason.

"My blood in exchange for his freedom. He won't fall to level E," Yuki gave me a sad look. Shizuka inched closer and I was useless to help as there sword still rested next to my neck. I closed my eyes to let the deed be done.