11 | a new beginning

11 | A NEW BEGINNING

Faint voices echoed through Amelia's head. Her vision was obscure and her mind tangled itself in a mess of thoughts. Amelia, though she could not feel the pain, struggled to inhale. Her lungs were filling up with liquid and she was about to suffocate to death.

"Clear out the nearest emergency room! I need a decompression needle and the heaviest drug that can put a superhero down!" Amelia faintly heard someone shout.

"Temple!" The doctor shouted.

"I'm here, I'm here," Nurse Temple slightly gasped at the sight, "where did she come from?"

"She was out there fighting those things that were coming from the sky." The doctor replied. Amelia finally felt a light, cool sensation as the doctor pressed a needle into her arm.

"She's lucky she made it all the way to Metro General." The nurse said as she fumbled around for tools to hand to the doctor. Amelia's faint hearing started to slowly drift away.

* * *

Amelia's vision was dim and blurry when she began waking up

Amelia's vision was dim and blurry when she began waking up. Unidentifiable noises flooded her ears and a loud television blared through the room she was in.

"The anesthetics are wearing off! We need more, stat." One of the members of the medical staff barked.

"It has been recently reported that Iron Man, AKA Mr. Tony Stark, is flying directly into the— what it looks like— black hole in the sky. We— woah, woah! What! He's seems to be carrying a nuke straight into the abyss!" The woman on the television announced.

"W—wait," Amelia fought to keep her eyes open as the doctors filled her veins with more drugs, "my friends— they... need.... help!" Amelia ripped the tubes and cords that attached to her body.

"Miss you really shouldn't—" Amelia pushed them to the side. She walked forward, or shall I say, stumbled forward and grasped at the objects around her to support her.

"The nuke made it in! New York is saved." the reporter cheered.

"He's not going to make it back," Amelia spoke hoarsely, stumbling over more medical objects as people swarmed around her to stop her from leaving, "why am I always in these damn situations." Amelia groaned, persisting to go help her team that she felt she had failed.

"And the Iron Man himself has made it back! He just fell from the sky and the black hole is gone!" Amelia heard the reporter report.

Amelia breathed out in relief

Amelia breathed out in relief. "I still have to go." Amelia continued to push the doctors out of the way; however was stopped when the nurse, Nurse Temple, injected another syringe of an anesthetic.

Amelia quickly collapsed onto the floor, hearing the shocked shouts of other doctors and nurses to Nurse Temple.

* * *

Amelia woke up, once again, but this time she was only accompanied by one person. "You're awake." Steve said and rushed over to Amelia's side.

"Haven't we been in this position before?" Amelia joked.

Steve smiled in return. There was a moment of silence. "Look, Amelia— I need to tell you something."

Amelia already knew what it was. She had compelled it out of him earlier, but she wanted him to genuinely say it himself.

"I'm sorry, about— well you know," he looked down, ashamedly, "I wanted you to know... when I found out that you were gone, I went crazy looking for you. I had to make so many call to finally find where you were. And when I found out that you were hurt, I got here right away. Well, with that, I realized something and I wanted to tell you that—"

Steve was interrupted by Amelia pulling him in for a long, passionate kiss

Steve was interrupted by Amelia pulling him in for a long, passionate kiss. "I love you too." She replied.

"I–I didn't expect that." Steve was shocked.

Before Amelia could say anything else, the rest of the team— Natasha, Tony, Clint and Bruce— entered the room with bags filled with shawarma.

"Since we couldn't go to the shawarma, we brought the shawarma to you." Tony dangled the bags around.

"Shawarma?" Amelia was confused.

"Oh... you were— we got shawarma, deal with it, cupcake." Tony said. Amelia shrugged.

Each of them grabbed a shawarma

Each of them grabbed a shawarma. "Cheers, to a new beginning!" Natasha raised her food and the others copied her, then began eating. Afterwards, the team joked, ate and smiled. They were more than just a team of heroes now, they were family.