Chapter 8

My Lovies!!! I'm sorry I haven't been updating recently but I'm never dead for long! So this chapter I put in music that I love and thought would go well with the theme of my whole book. Sorry if you don't like Melanie Martinez but there will probably be a lot of her music in here.

Over the past few weeks, I've been living with Katsu and his mother. I've mostly been sulking around in his bedroom. In fact, I don't think I've left his bed since arriving here. Morning blurs into afternoon which turns over to evenings with nothing really happening. I lay, curled up in the fetal position, under a mountain of disheveled quilts nad blankets.

Katsu has been by my side the whole time making sure I have plenty to eat and drink. Though, ever since I got the news that Haruki was murdered. I guess I'm still in shock that I had left just a few minutes before it happened. According to the police, Haruki had called over one of his 'girlfriends' as soon as I left and she was the last person to talk to him. I knew the women, Haruki was one of her regulars and I had seen her wandering around the apartment more than once. I believe her name was Emi.

Emi told the police that she was waiting in the living room when Haruki walked over to the kitchen however, strange noises coming from my old bedroom caused him to go in and check it out. She remembered a long silence before what sounded like a fighting coming from my bedroom. When she went to go check on Haruki she found him strung up by his neck around the ceiling fan with weights tied to his ankles and wrists pulling him down.The window to the left of the bed was open with the screen was popped out.

The autopsy came back saying that Haruki suffered a blunt blow to the back of the head and several deep cuts around the stomach and throat areas. They're saying that the blood loss and trauma to the head killed Haruki before suffocation could.

Silent tears flow heavy down my cheeks as I think of her statement again. I feel so guilty that he died alone in that stupid apartment. If I had stayed a little while longer I could have prevented his death but now.....now..he's never coming back. I'll never see him again.

Since I'm only sixteen I can't legally own an apartment yet and with no guardian to take me in I go to the state. The police have already searched my old apartment twice and have a guard permanently placed outside the complex so if they see me they can take me to the orphanage. It's only a matter of time before they start combing through the neighborhood for me. I don't think Katsu would rat me out, though. He seems to enjoy my company even though I do nothing except cry under the covers. He revels in my weak state always saying things like, "I'm here now. I'll protect you against everyone. You can just stay like this forever. You never have to lift a finger ever again, my sweet.".

Sometimes I'll wake up late at night to find him either on the floor next to the bed or kneeling over my body watching me sleep. A few times I've stared into his fluorescent green orbs and have seen a glimpse of violence and raw anger and those few times I haven't been able to fall back asleep until he backed off. When I questioned him in the morning he would always dance around a definite answer. Katsu has his creepy moments, though, he has mostly just been sweet toward me, proclaiming that he always going to be there for me. His mother, Rio, is usually out working, I guess. I don't know where she works but judging by her attire she might just be a painted lady.

I've learned that Katsu and his mother get into a verbal argument almost every night and rarely will it ever turn into a physical fight but when it does I also pray that Katsu doesn't hurt his mother. She's as thin as a rail and about a head shorter than me while Katsu is thickly corded with muscle that is wrapped tightly around his abdomen and biceps like smooth ribbon. He still somehow keeps a slim figure, though. He stands 5 feet and 9 inches tall, a good two and a half heads taller than me. If he wanted he could easily overpower both me and his mother which is why I'm surprised I watch as Rio raises her hand to slap Katsu across the face.