Chapter 17

Oh my goodness. That has it really been that long since I posted something? Oh geez, don't be made at me I'm just a poor author! Have pity on me! (ŎŎ)

I've been running through this forest for what seemed like hours, but could have only been a few minutes. Every sound in the inky blackness surrounding me echo and make my breath hitch. My eyes dart back and forth to each side of the road thinking that Katsu found out I escaped and turned around. His trucks tire tracks are easy to see in the light of the full moon.

I quickly get a stitch in my side but I can barely feel the pain. There is only one thing on my mind now; escaping. I don't now where I'll go if I actually make it to civilization but I can't worry about that. Anything is better than here. I can still see Blondie's blue lips nad waxy skin in the bed of his truck. Now that I think back to her body I remember noticing a small wax heart stamped into her collar bone. It was the same color as her lipstick and blood camouflaged it almost perfectly. Sudden flashes of Yuki's, my old neighbor, body swinging from the rafters at my apartment complex comes to mind. I also saw the same heart on his collar bone. The authorities found the same red heart on my brother's body. They reported across the state that if you notice any suspicious activity surrounding the symbol, you should call the police immediately.

Could that symbol possibly be Katsu's calling card? I never saw May's body but I'll bet everything I have that she had the same heart as both of them. I can't believe I never realized what he was really capable of before now.

"Why the hell would Katsu mark a body? That probably the easiest way to get caught." Ted Bundy had a somewhat similar pattern, young girls, and women. Jack the Ripper would go after prostitutes. All serial killers, with a few, exceptions, have a pattern. What did all of Katsu's victims have in common? Me.

Yuki died the same day that Katsu saw us in the park together. Huki was found the same night he kicked me out. And Blondie was one of my school bullies. My face pales as I realize what Katsu is doing.

When he meant 'make things ok' he meant getting rid of all those that hurt me in some way. Even if you just pushed me in the halls of school or threw petty insults at me, if Katsu thinks of you as a threat to me then you must be eliminated. I just hope that I can stop Katsu before he kills another person. That's all I can really hope for at this point.

My legs start shaking, about to give out from all the exertion, when the tree line suddenly stops to reveal a lavish three-story house.

I have to blink a couple of times to see if I'm hallucinating or not. It's a very odd place for a house, especially a house as large as this one. A tangle of plants blocks my way to the house. I think they're strawberry plants but I can't be sure. A single light from the top floor is the only indication that the house isn't abandoned. I wonder if Katsu knew how close another person was to us. Well, they aren't dead yet so I guess not.

Without skipping a beat I continue toward the house. There is a three-car garage to the left side, the opposite of the light in the third story. I can just make out a slight hole in one of the garage doors. It didn't close all the way. I thank whoever was lazy enough not to close it.

I sneak over to the doors, skirting along the tree line and out of sight of any stray eyes. I slip under the tiny opening and wait for my eyes to adjust to the sudden darkness.

A cherry red sports car sits perfectly on the carpeted ground. Carpet? In the garage? How rich are these people?

Shaking my head in amazement, I continue searching the place. Only one car is missing from the garage but half a dozen bikes collect dust on the golden walls. I walk past the cars and reach for one of the lower bikes that look like they fit me. It's a flowery, pink bike with red rims and a wicker basket in the front. I sigh but take it anyway. A car would be faster but I don't know how to hot wire and I don't think the people living here would let me borrow it anyway.