Chapter 16

Choice 'B' won! Sorry, YUIsarangi and kendallovepuppies and all those that wanted a different ending!! Enjoy, My Lovies!!! ( •) The song is 'The haunting' by Duality .

Ever since...uh...that night with Katsu. He's been more clingy than usual, if that's even possible. I fall asleep in his arms just to wake up in his tight embrace, all but choking me. Almost like he thinks I'll suddenly disappear. Of course, I've been woken up by the bed creaking under his shifting weight. He leaves earlier in the morning when he thinks I'm asleep and stays out until five sometimes six AM. Every time he leaves I try to loosen the knife from the wall or try to follow his truck's tracks. I get about mile out before I have to stop and turn around. A thinly forested area is beginning to sprout around me when I reach it. A wide river churning cold, black water as far as the eye can see in both directions. It's not very deep, up to my stomach, but the heavy current of rapids make me hesitate. I the recent downpours of rain. I can just make out the start of more tire tracks on the other side of the bank so I know he drives across here. Possibly the only way out of here. I was going to walk along the bank of the river but I heard a distant roar of an engine further ahead of me so I quickly ran back to the little shack. There was no way I could ever cross the river anytime soon. I'd have to form a plan.

It didn't take me long to finalize my escape. First, just like any great escape, I had to distract my captor. I needed rope. The only place I think that could have that was the truck and to do that I need Katsu gone. Luckily, Katsu doesn't lock the truck, except for the trunk where all the weapons are stored. So, I just needed to distract him. Easy.

I walk outside with Katsu at my heels, like a loyal dog. I can feel his breath brush the back of my neck he was so close. Without turning my head I look for sharp rocks, twigs or random pieces of glass. The last people who lived here must have loved smashing bottles. There must be a whole junk yards' worth of smashed glass littering the dirt like stars in the night sky. I notice a blue broken bottle neck jutting out of the ground a little to the right of the truck. Close enough to not draw attention but close enough that I can just open up a door before Katsu comes back.

Subtly, I walk over to the stray piece of glass with the false intention of going to the fire pit .I made sure to discard my shoes before coming out here just for this purpose. I close my eyes and step on the jagged glass and immediately I yelp in pain and step back into katsu's chest. I hear Katsu gasp.

"(Y/n)! Are you ok?" When Katsu sees me bleeding his face pales. My heart squeezes from the worried look on his face. I can't stop from caring for him but  know that if I don't leave now I will never. "You have to be more careful!"

He sets me down on one of the fire pit benches then runs back to the hut. Disregarding the pain, I run to the truck and open one of the back doors. At first, I don't see anything but scattered paper and album pictures in the back but then I see the tail end of a thick rope peeking out from under a pile of blankets. I smile triumphantly and tug on it. I can hear Katsu still in the shack ripping something. I know I only have seconds before he comes back out. The rope seems to be caught on something beneath the blankets. I tug on it again then pull back the blanket.

I almost scream but stop myself. Marbled blue eyes stare, seemingly focused, on me. I retract my hand back to my chest, away from the dead body of Blondie, my bully from school. Dried blood is sprayed across her face and chest. Her lipstick matches the color perfectly as if it was just more makeup she purposefully put on. I don't see any open wound but dark bruises discolor her neck, a piano wire still wrapped around it like a necklace. The rope sits under her body and, fortunately, not tied to her. I quickly slip the rope out from under her and throw the blanket back over her. Wrapping the coil of rope in my hand, I run up to a thick patch of wildflowers and hide it the middle. The bright colors distract from the dull yellow of the rope. I can only hope that Katsu doesn't notice it missing from his truck. He came back today smelling of sweat and copper. I can only guess what he's been doing.If I looked closely at his fingernails I know I'd see red staining the undersides.

I sit back down on the bench just as Katsu rushes outside with a bucket of water and a ripped piece of fabric  probably from our bedroll. He kneels down in front of me and picks up my foot to examine. Small and dirt clot up the bleeding cut. Now that my adrenaline has come down I'm starting to feel pain in my foot again. I suck in a harsh breath as Katsu cleans the cut as best he can with just water and a rag. Eventually, he wraps it up tightly so I can walk. I stand up but Katsu suddenly sweeps me up to hold me bridal style.

"I'll carry you so the bandage doesn't come loose." He nuzzles his face in my hair, kissing the crown of my head. I blush, despite already seeing all of him and him all of me.

"It's ok. My foot doesn't hurt that bad." I try not to look back at the wildflower patch I hide the rope in and just focus of the shack.

"I will take good care of My Princess." His words are endearing but all I can think about is the still body in the back of his truck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lay in Katsu's hold, listening to the rhythm of his breathing. I've learned to recognize when he's asleep. Even psychos have to sleep sometime. I can't seem to find the courage to ask about his obvious hobbies in fear that he would realize I'm following him and he'll stop leaving. Or worst, he'll figure out my plan. His absence is my only way I'm going to escape.

As if on cue, Katsu's breathing becomes deeper and more frequent. He quietly sits up in bed, releasing me. He says nothing as he clasps his truck keys from the gold chain around his neck. I can feel his emerald eyes burning into my back. I have to force myself to breathe slowly and regularly.

"I'll make everything ok. Don't you worry." I could barely make out Katsu's whispered words before he opens and closes the front door.

I wait until the sound of the truck is far enough ahead he won't be able to see me. I jump out of the bed and look out our only window, only wincing once as I put weight on my foot. He's truly gone. I have no idea what he's doing or what he think he's making 'ok' but I'll find out soon. I have a suspicion it has something to do with Blondie's body.

I walk over to the blade lodged in the wall and brace my foot against the wall before gripping the handle. The blade doesn't move under my weight. It seems useless and I'm about to give up when a creaking noise breaks the night's silence. I wiggle the now semi-loose knife back and forth a few times then pull it again. I finally got it free with a final tug but landed on my butt.

"Yes! Finally." I huff out a breath and get up. Now that I actually have a weapon, I can defend myself. Katsu hadn't attacked me yet out here but I'm waiting until he finally does. I stare at the hole where the knife was. I can feel a slight breeze filter inside when I put my hand over the hole. Did he stab the knife through the wall? How strongly do you have to be to stab a knife through a two-inch thick wall with one hand? I didn't stop to think about that for long, though. Every second I waste here is another lost trying to escape. Tonight he left at eleven PM if I'm reading the position of the moon correctly. That leaves me six hours. Seven if he drives back at six AM. I grab the rope from the wild flowers and make my way out to the river.

The rapids seem even more intimidating in the glow of a full moon. I keep seeing dark shadows out of the corners of my eyes, thinking its Katsu. Shaking my head I try to concentrate.

Tying the rope to a nearby tree trunk is easy then I tie the other end to my waist, again, easy. And once I've done that the task ahead of me seems even scarier. I turn to face the river. Tightly grasping my knife in one hand I begin to wade into the frigid waters. The force of the water pushes against me making my feet lose their hold on the rocks for a few seconds. I hold on to the rope that leads back to the shore so if I get swept away I can always find my way back.

I'm almost to the other shore when I feel something slimy rub up against my ankle. A shiver runs up my spine as I think of the possibilities of what it could be. Instead of waiting around to find out I move as quickly as I can up to shore. As soon as my wet skin hits the night air shivers rack my body. My shaking hands can barely cut the rope with the knife. I quickly find the tire tracks and begin the long journey back to civilization.

The tracks are obvious even at night. I smile despite the fact that I'm cold and tired. This will be easy. A low chuckle comes from my mouth which becomes a full blown laugh. I'm halfway to freedom but I have to stop because I'm doubled over in a maddening laughter. When I completely done laughing I look up at the moon and the stars. Just the other day I looked up at the same moon with Katsu, feeling desperate and trapped, but now I feel as far away from Katsu and his grip as the asteroid above me is.