Chapter 3 -Two Steps Behind You

"Did you know he was gonna bring him?" I hissed, leaning across the table so that I was closer to Shelly, who looked up at Tyler and shook her head.

"Nope," she said.

His lips twisting into a grin, Vince drawled, "I'm right here, you can ask me to my face."

Tyler's back was towards us as he chatted to Brenda Hayworth, the library assistant and I glowered in his direction. What was he doing here? The last thing I needed was for him to spot Vince. Then he would join us, start talking and we would never leave and I would die of hunger. As if reading my mind and just itching to prove me right, Vince pushed his chair back.

Without preamble, I asked, "Where you going?"

"Calling Tyler over," he replied, as though it was obvious.

I shook my head, my earrings whipping the side of my neck. "No, don't,' I pleaded in a hoarse whisper. "He probably isn't even here for you!"

And if you leave him alone, he might go away without bothering anyone. Namely me.

"Sure he is, we made plans to meet here. BRB."

Before I could stop him (even though I'm not sure how I would have stopped him. I'm sure Mrs. Keith draws the line at tackling people in the library) he was on his feet, waving at Tyler even though he knew full well that Tyler was fully occupied by the smoking hot Brenda and couldn't even see him.

"Now we won't get any work done at all," I pouted, sounding remarkably like Arielle when she didn't get what she wanted.

Looking up from her book, Shelly sighed. "Stop bitching, you're acting like a baby. I know you're mad that Ryder stood you up but you're embarrassing me!"

"Like how embarrassed I was when you were practically drooling on Vince?" I propped my chin on my hand, staring at Shelly who blinked wildly, running a nervous hand through her hair. "When did this happen?"

I had to know. How the hell had Shelly and Vince gone from flat out hate to- this?

Whatever 'this' may be.

Shelly was shifty eyed, looking everywhere but directly at me. "I don't know what you mean." Even her voice sounded shady. "Just- be nice, okay? This whole experience will go down that much easier if you're nice."

"You owe me for this," I said. "Two burgers. With extra fries and a large Coke."

In a vain attempt to defend herself, Shelly protested, "I really had no idea that Tyler would show up, though."

Up by the librarians' desk, Vince had reached Tyler and was giving him one of those man hugs where it seems the main goal is to check and see that neither of you have weapons. Why else the lengthy patting down process?

"I think Tyler's the proverbial bad penny. Always showing up when you least expect to see him." I sniffed contemptuously, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "He's a pest."

Shelly smiled, a dreamy look in her eyes. "I think he's kind of gorgeous. And he's sweet."

"Sweet is the ultimate mediocrity," I said knowingly. I should know. Both of my exes were sweet and they were as boring as all heck.

Ryder wasn't sweet. He was gorgeous and sexy and not sweet. And he was nothing like Tyler (thank goodness) who sometimes randomly started humming 'Six Little Ducks' in the middle of US History when he sat behind me. Can you say annoying? I actually had to move to the front of the class, just to get away from his singing. Now that I thought about it, he was probably doing it to get me to move. Jerk.