Chapter 5- What Do You Want From Me?

Chapter Five

What Do You Want From Me?

There are certain times when I hate Shelly. For instance, I hate it when she drags me to Jimmy Choo to spend hours there looking at handbags she knows she can't afford. I hate it when she answers any phone around her with 'Domino's Pizza, can I take your order?' I hate it when she freaks out when the microwave makes that 'ping' sound.

But most of all, I hate it when she tries to make me do things I don't want to do. As in saying thanks to Tyler.

She broached the subject calmly at first, probably due to the fact that I still had water in my ears.

"He spotted Ryder push you in, jumped up from his seat, pulled off his headphones, and dived in," Shelly gushed as she held up a towel to shield me as I pulled off my sopping wet sweats and shimmied into a spare pair of Shelly's shorts. The girl is always prepared. "It was like something out of a movie!"

"I'm so glad he had the foresight to pull off his headphones," I muttered, a slightly sarcastic tone tingeing my voice as I yanked off my Uggs. Poor things are never going to be right again.

Vince chuckled. "He better have had the foresight to take 'em off before he dived- those headphones are Beats by Dre's! They cost 400 bucks!"

"Wow," I said, hoping I sounded sufficiently reverent. All I wanted to do was go home so that I could change and bask in the memory of that kiss Ryder gave me. Aah, those soft lips on my cheek made me feel like I was the only girl in the world...

But Shelly wouldn't let me bask in anything. All she wanted to do, it seemed, was talk about Tyler. Like I hadn't had enough of him already.

"He didn't even stop to take off his shoes, and those kicks were nice! And brand new. He just reacted on pure animal instinct." She paused and thought for a second. "He made it look pretty damn hot."

Okaaaay...

I glanced at Vince to see how he would react to his girlfriend calling his best friend hot, but he just nodded in agreement to whatever she was saying. Whipped. Well and truly whipped.

"Huh," I replied, rubbing my hair dry with one of Shelly's Little Mermaid towels with a pang. "I always feel bad using Ariel like this."

"I don't! I would scissor her face if she was real." Shelly shrugged as I stared at her. "Just saying!"

"You ain't right for that one, Shelly," I sniffed.

"Anyway, back to what I was saying, before you so rudely interrupted me. I can't understand how you fail to be grateful that the guy dropped everything to save you," Shelly continued, a hand on her hip as she gave me major attitude.

I raised my hands palm up, a laugh burbling in my throat. "Come on, Shelly! Dropped everything?"Overstatement of the year! What exactly had Tyler been doing besides making nasty comments and texting? "I am grateful, really I am, but I don't see what the issue here is!"

"Really?" Shelly shot me a 'figure this out' look, her mouth set into a thin line. "A guy that you've been taunting all day jumps fully clothed into the deep end of the pool to save you, you don't say thanks and you don't think that's a big deal?"

Oh, it was the deep end of the pool that I was pushed in. No wonder I sank so deep.

And what the hell was Shelly talking about, me taunting Tyler? Had she even been listening to some of the things he had been saying to (and about) me? Probably not.