Chapter 23- Family and Friends

Chapter Twenty-Three- Family and Friends.

Wednesday was the day mom had designated as 'shopping day'. For reasons that you can guess, I was dreading going home after school and going on a shopping expedition with mom and Arielle. As soon as mom heard that Tyler had asked me to the All-Star pick dinner, she actually squealed and clapped her hands together with glee.

Now I see where Arielle gets it.

In fact, mom was so excited about my upcoming date that she had written a shopping list itemizing all the items I needed for my outfit on Thursday night. Every time I passed her in the living room, kitchen or outside, polishing the barbeque, she kept asking me about what color lipstick I wanted, the kind of dress style I was interested in, what shoes I would be comfortable in, what hairstyle she should do my hair in… It was exhausting, and I fleetingly allowed myself to wonder what she would be like closer to prom night.

Don't even think about it, Kaylee. Please!

My only saving grace was that mom hated using computers and the internet because Lord only knew how terrible it would have been if she was on Pinterest searching for prom outfit ideas.

I dawdled home after school on Wednesday afternoon, taking my time to smell the proverbial roses as I delayed going home, knowing that the mall and shopping lay in wait. Tyler had asked me if I wanted to hang out with him after he was done practice and I regretfully refused. Hanging with Tyler was something that I actually wanted to do, but ditching mom wasn't anything I was about to do.

You try pissing off a strong-willed Black woman who could tell you off in both English and French.

"I'm home," I announced as I let myself into the house, my stomach rumbling as I stepped into the kitchen. A platter of saran wrap covered sandwiches greeted me and I grinned happily.

Ham and cheese sandwiches? Aww, yiss!

Helping myself to a sandwich as I dropped down onto a breakfast stool, I bit into it, wondering why I was so hungry when I had just stolen a protein bar from Vince's backpack, which was, weirdly enough, filled with them.

Still convinced he's a protein bar dealer.

Mom floated into the kitchen, wiping her hands together and leaving a strong smell of disinfectant behind her. "Arielle, sweetie, put your shoes on. We're leaving in a few minutes," she called over her shoulder as she clipped her mini hand sanitizer back onto her keychain. "Kay-Bear, go put your bag in your room, baby. We have an outfit to shop for!"

She's gotta be more excited than I am at this point!

"I don't see why I can't just wear one of my old dresses, mom," I griped, covering my mouth as I chewed.

I had plenty of dresses, mostly bought by mom, that I barely wore. If I could only get her to see my point of view…

Mom gasped, her hand at her slim throat, forcibly reminding me of Aunt Vivienne and her dramatic antics. "You're going to a black tie event," she started as I frowned. How did she know? Did she hear from one of the cashiers at the supermarket? That was where she usually got her gossip. "You need to look like a princess. After all, you're representing our family at this dinner." She tucked a wisp of hair behind her ear and gave me a look that I read right away- 'my way or my way.'

"Okay," I muttered, grabbing my bag with one hand and another sandwich with the other.

I passed Arielle on my way to my room, sitting on the bottom step, struggling to put her feet into her pink Timbs. She had matched her shoes with a pink floral dress and, incongruously enough, a blue baseball cap over her curls. Glancing up at me as I walked past her, she said, "Mama say I could wear the hat," as if she knew I was going to say something.