Chapter 35- Prom Night

Remember how excited and pushy my mom had been when we went shopping for my All-Star dinner dress? Remember when I wondered just how much worse she would get when it was time for me to prepare for prom? Well, obviously fate didn't want me to suffer a stress induced heart attack at the ripe old age of 17 and ten months, because, a few days before prom, my dad got a business opportunity to travel to Miami (something about a panel of seminars on turf, which sounds unbelievably boring) for a week, and he took mom and Arielle with him.

Hallelujah!

I moved into Shelley's room temporarily while my family was away, and, on prom day, her parents hosted a barbeque and invited Janessa, Vince, Tyler and Brandon's parents over to celebrate and take pictures of us before we left for the most important night in our high school years.

Shelley's words, not mine.

I admit, up until I started dating Tyler for real, I had been slightly obsessed with prom. My outfit had been picked months in advance, I had a vision board on Pintrest, and I had imagined a very (embarrassingly) romantic promposal, with Ryder as the hero.

Cringe.

Of course, my entire view of prom had changed once I realized that Tyler was the guy I wanted to be with, and knowing that he was so chill about things I tended to obsess over (matching ties with dresses, what corsage design to wear, heels or pumps) made me relax more.

Or, maybe it's because you're so happy that you're not obsessing over things that don't actually matter, Kaylee.

Anyway, it turned out that it didn't really matter that I had relaxed over prom, because Shelley was more than willing to step up to the plate. Me being my typical self (in other words, only hitting up the mall when it was absolutely necessary), I had waited until the last possible moment (11am on prom day) to buy my shoes. Bad idea, because that meant I had to be dragged to the mall by a determined (and pissed off, judging by the lectures and glares she kept giving me) Shelley, whining as she pulled me from store to store to find the perfect shoes to go with the dress I had chosen a month ago. It was a nightmare, in case you haven't already figured that out. After that, we went to Mrs. Montri's favorite salon, and Shelley got a blowout, while I got my hair trimmed and deep conditioned. Finally, we got back to Shelley's house, where we linked up with Janessa, ate (thank goodness because a girl was starving), and got dressed.

At any rate, Shelley and I got dressed.

After months of indecisiveness, Shelley had settled on a baby blue mermaid dress, and walked out of her conjoined bathroom looking like an ethereal princess. I wore a coral pink flowy dress, making sure to text Tyler, reminding him to wear the matching belt.

Janessa was still chilling on Shelley's bed, sweats on, playing Tetris on her phone as I put the finishing touches to my makeup.

I'm so hungry.

"Do you think I have time to eat some more ribs before your mom comes up and wants to take pictures?" I mused, staring at my reflection in the vanity mirror.

Behind me, Shelley snorted derisively. "If you have another rack of ribs, you'll bust out of your dress, Kaylee. Common sense."

How the hell does she know how much body my dress can hold?

Broodingly, I glowered at her. "You don't want to come between me and my dinner, Shelley," I muttered darkly.

Snickering, Janessa said, "You already had dinner, greedy."

Hater.

At the sound of Janessa's voice, Shelley slowly raised her eyes from her clutch bag, which was in her lap. I snorted with ill-disguised laughter, watching Shelley glower at an unbothered Janessa, who was so into her Tetris game she didn't seem to care that our limo would arrive in less than an hour.