Chapter 25- The Party Pooper

Saturday night.

"I don't feel like going to the party."

I almost poked myself in the eye with a friggin' mascara wand as my body gave a surprised jerk in reaction to Tyler's words. "What?" I exclaimed towards my phone, which was on speaker on my dressing table as I laboriously applied my makeup. "You invited me! I'm putting on makeup, for God's sake!"

"Yeah, but- I'm just not feeling it." Tyler yawned. "All I wanna do is have a cheat day, buy like two pizzas and just watch movies." He paused, then tentatively added, "You could come over here."

Staring at my phone as I blew an errant curl out of my face, I said, "I was going to, anyway."

Isn't that part of the plan?

Tyler had invited me last minute to the All-Star celebration party which was being thrown at Peter Matheson's house, and the sole reason I had agreed was because Ryder and Celeste were going, and despite how I felt about Ryder after Thursday, I was still invested in the scheme. I had to be, because thinking about what everyone who was privy to the details would say if I suddenly decided that I wanted to quit the fake dating ruse scared me.

Flighty. Wishy-washy. A flaky ditz.

Thinking about Ryder's inflammatory words that had been directed towards Tyler had enraged me for reasons I didn't understand, and I tried to justify my anger by telling myself that I was only pissed because Ryder had turned out to be such a sore loser. He had diminished Tyler's accomplishments by making his team captaincy about race, and I wasn't cool with that.

"I mean, you could come over and we could hang out. My parents aren't home. Not that I'm only inviting you over because they aren't home." A nervous chuckle. "Even if they were home I'd still invite you over to watch movies, but-."

A small smile on my face, I interrupted him to say, "You're rambling."

There's truly a first for everything.

"Yes."

Thoughtfully, I remarked, "I've never heard you ramble before. Usually it's me."

"I'm not proud," Tyler admitted with a bashful laugh.

Tugging both hands through my kinky curls, I mused, "So, should I come over?"

I know Tyler said he wanted me to go hang out with him and eat pizzas (bliss), but some finicky part of me had to be sure. He didn't disappoint.

"Yes!" he exclaimed right away. His voice turned wheedling. "I'll even whip up something for you to eat. Chicken stir-fry, maybe."

A conniving smile turned up the corners of my lips. "Maybe isn't good enough."

"Okay, I'll make you food if you come over," Tyler conceded with a grudging sigh as I punched the air victoriously.

I win!

Still, I managed to sound suitably reluctant as I groaned, "Fine, I'll come over."

Even though I could already taste the chicken stir-fry, but what Tyler didn't know couldn't hurt him, could it?

"You're such a tease, Kay-Bear."

Even though I knew he couldn't see me, I stuck my tongue out childishly. "Takes one to know one."

He chuckled softly. "Just hurry up and get your cute ass over here."

"Okay," I squeaked in surprise as he hung up, staring at myself in the mirror.