Chapter 33- So, What is the Truth?

Oh. My. Stars.

The kiss lasted only for a few seconds as Ryder moved his lips softly against mine, and my strained mind was able to determine just one important fact-no fireworks. None of the warm fuzzies that engulfed me whenever I kissed Tyler.

Tyler.

All of a sudden my body was imbued with warmth as I remembered the last time we had kissed, while Ryder flicked his tongue against my lips.

I pulled away, confused.

Ryder was giving me a weird look as my eyes filled with sudden tears. "What's wrong? Did I bite your lip or something?"

"No, I'm fine," I lied, shaking my head and rubbing my eyes.

Uncertainly, Ryder asked, "Are you crying?"

"I'm sorry, I just- it's all been a mistake."

I stared up at Ryder miserably, unable to tell him that I was crying because although he had been kissing me, I had been thinking of Tyler.

A frown creased his forehead. "A mistake?"

"I thought I liked you, for the longest time," I babbled, hugging myself. "But- it was just the feeling." I sighed, looking up at him plaintively. "I don't know how to explain it. Like- the feeling of something I thought I wanted, but never needed."

Incredulously, Ryder asked, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I don't like you anymore." I didn't know how true this was until I heard my own voice say it. Ryder stared at me, dumbfounded, as I continued. "I guess- I haven't liked you for a while. I'm sorry."

Disbelievingly, Ryder exclaimed, "That's all you can say? You're sorry?" I stared at him as he clenched his fists, his body tense. "You're giving up a chance to be with me? Isn't that what you've wanted for years, when you've been stalking me and doing my work whenever I asked?"

"Wait." Did he just-? "If you knew that, why didn't you do or say anything?"

Laughing sardonically, Ryder sat back down. "Because I wanted you to keep doing my work, obviously!" He shot me a disgusted look and I winced at his next words. "And having you fawning over me was flattering."

First real conversation we have, and his true colours come out, just because I didn't want to kiss him.

"Everyone was right about you," I said, more to myself than him. I felt like a kid who had just found out that the tooth fairy wasn't real. My ultimate fantasy had just disintegrated, and I was looking at the real Ryder.

Ryder snorted derisively. "Well, I don't care." His eyes narrowed as he looked me up and down. "You know, there is no way I would even date you."

"What?" I wasn't sure I heard him correctly.

"Why do you think I never wanted to have study dates so we could work on our assignments together?" His top lip curled up. "You aren't in my league."

I could feel my eyebrows rising as I sat there, feeling crestfallen at his insult. "Excuse me?" I squeaked, my eyes watering.

"You're not popular, not hot, your hair is crazy-," Ryder started.

Don't you dare come for a girl's hair, Black girls fro's included.

Patting my afro puff, I snarled through my tears, "My hair is perfect! And you may not think I'm hot, but some people don't go for looks, they go for personality." I stood up, thoroughly pissed off now. What gives him the right? "And you know what? My friends were right- you don't have a good personality."