Chapter 6- Feeling Really Unappreciated

Author's Note- This is a looooong chapter :)

I took a step back, raising my arms instinctively. "Oh, I'm sorry!"

Celeste smiled at me. It was her regular sweet smile, but I knew the feeling behind it was as fake as her hair color.

"That's perfectly okay, Kaylee. How are you feeling after yesterday?"

Her large, kohl lined eyes widened in a concerned look. Fake, fake, fake!

I plastered a smile on my face as I replied "Good."

"Ryder was really upset that he had to dunk you, you know. He was forced to do it, by his teammates," Celeste continued.

Yeah friggin' right! Did she think I was stupid enough to fall for such b.s.? Nobody, but nobody, forced Ryder to do anything! He was the captain of the basketball team, if anything, he would have forced somebody else to dunk me. But I really didn't want to think about all that now. I just wanted to get done shopping, give Tyler the present, go home and eat pistachio mint ice cream while listening to 'This Woman's Work' and start crying. You know. Regular people stuff.

I nodded. "I know," I replied solemnly. Did Celeste not understand that I was giving her these short answers for a reason? I sure as hell didn't want to talk to her any longer.

But my negative body language (folded arms, no eye contact) didn't seem to phase her.

"I can't believe Tyler went off like that, defending you," she said.

Mei Lyn, who had been checking out her reflection in a nearby mirror, sauntered over to us. "He looked hot when he was mad," she purred.

Celeste shot her a quick, annoyed glance, then turned back to me. "He hasn't been that angry in ages."

Girl, you call that angry? Tyler was ready to throw down on Ryder! He wasn't angry, he was pissed the hell off.

"Yeah, this breakup is definitely bringing out the worst in him," I said snidely, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear and sighing with relief as I spotted Arielle. She was amusing herself by going up and down the escalator. I knew nobody would kidnap her. Who'd want to be responsible for a kid wearing huge headphones and pink Timberlands? Exactly.

Celeste looked pensive. "It was for the best," she said, sounding defensive. "We weren't going anywhere, it was the same old thing every day."

Excuses, excuses. So you left your boyfriend of a year, try to upgrade to my man a couple days later and you have the nerve to come at me and call medesperate? Girl please.

Mei Lyn was still in fan girl mode. "I can't believe Tyler dived into the pool shoes and all to save you," she enthused.

Celeste nodded, not looking happy at all. "Tyler loves his shoes. He has a shoe closet and all his sneakers are color coordinated."

So what?

"That makes me feel special," I replied, scratching my head. I guess.

What was Celeste trying to prove? Was she trying to make me feel like Tyler did me a favor? Well, he did do me a favor, but she sounded like she wanted to make me feel guilty for it. Why was everyone doing that?

"I can't believe how ripped he was when he took his shirt off." Mei Lyn fanned herself as Celeste turned to her, an angry glint in her eyes.

"Stop it!"

My cue to leave.

"Well guys, I gotta go. I'm taking my little sister shopping," I said, trying and failing to sound regretful that our little torture session was coming to an end.