Chapter 11- Fake It

Chapter Eleven

Fake It.

"What?!"

I cringed; clapping my hands to my ears as Tyler almost yelled that out, a mixture of contempt and amusement in his voice.

Of course he was enjoying himself, why wouldn't he be? After telling me to meet him at 4 and not to be late, guess who sauntered up to me at 4.15 with a cocky grin on his face and no apologies for being late? As if that wasn't enough, he made me follow him all around the food court as he went up to each and every restaurant to ask them a piddling and useless question about 'daily specials' they didn't even have before settling on a stack of pancakes from Ihop. A stack of pancakes which he was currently decorating with ketchup.

So wasteful!

It was obvious that he wasn't going to eat them because nobody normal put ketchup on their pancakes and syrup, and it was a total jerk move considering that he knew how poor I was. Meanwhile all I'd been able to afford for myself were some fries and a bottle of water. But since I wanted him in a cooperative mood (yeah right) I just gritted my teeth and smiled as I outlined my genius plan. And his reaction was pure Tyler Li- make Makayla Bailey look stupid at all costs. Not for any particular reason, just because he could.

I leaned forward, putting a finger to my lips. "Shhh!"

What was with Tyler trying to get everyone's attention focused on us? This was supposed to be a serious and confidential meeting, but while I was talking, Tyler kept punctuating my commentary with obnoxious laughter, derisive snorts and rude eye rolls.

"Why?" Tyler shrugged lazily as he smirked at me. "It's not like we're in the library."

I sucked in a breath to calm myself. Stay focused, Kaylee. You need him on your side. Don't snap.

Twisting my hands together in my lap, I tried to keep a neutral expression on my face. "So, what do you think about my idea?"

"It's dumb as hell," Tyler replied rudely, tearing open a pack of sugar. My lip curled up in disgust as he sprinkled it on top of the ketchup and syrup. Yuck. Why would he waste such a lovely stack of pancakes? It was like vandalism, in my eyes. "Obviously you read way too many teen novels, because that kind of stuff only happens in books."

Bristling, I snapped, "Well, what have you come up with? I mean, you want to get your 'queen' back, don't you?"

"Yeah. So?"

"So you'll get something from this, if you work with me. I mean-," I started, and then faltered as something caught my eye. A flash of orange-blonde hair.

Celeste.

And where Celeste was, Ryder was (nowadays) sure to be close behind.

Right on cue, I spotted him behind her, towering over her slight frame as he laughed at something she said. My mouth gaped as I stared at his flawless face, ogling him from afar.

Furrowing his brow slightly, Tyler snapped his fingers in front of my eyes, effectively waking me up and springing me into action. "Kaylee, what the hell? Don't just zone out on me like that."

"Move," I hissed, pushing him into the corner of the booth and following him.

"Huh? Kay-."

I squeezed against him, ducking my head as I sensed rather than saw Ryder look over in our direction. "I just saw Ryder and Celeste," I whispered frantically. "Don't look!"

"So what?" Tyler frowned, looking over his shoulder to where Ryder and Celeste had been standing. I sighed, raising my eyes to the ceiling. After I specifically told him not to... "We were here first. And anyway, we're not doing anything illegal. Just stupid."