Take a Bow

A/N: here goes. Hope you all like it. Make sure to comment and vote, it really motivates me. Enjoy

"Robyn, you need to make a change in your life." My mother said, peering deeply into my eyes.

I rolled my eyes and kissed my teeth. "Raahtid." I mumbled silently, my arms folded across my chest.

"What was that you say?" My aunt pointed a finger from a few feet away. I murmured an apology, and lifted my head up slowly. At least thirty people were seated in my living room. They sat with their chairs forming a circle, each pair of concerned eyes staring at me; some with hope, some with disappointment, and others with grief. The majority of the people seated were family and friends.

The remaining group consisted of managers, assistants, body guards, and other people who worked for me but were also concerned. I had developed a close relationship with all of them over the years.

The past hour involved everyone going around the room sharing their deepest concerns, urging me to get better. Some sort of intervention I guess. I wouldn't have even showed up if I had known this was going to happen. My own best friend, Melissa, had lured me home to Barbados under the guise of smoking, swimming, and relaxing.

I arrived at my mother's house to meet Melissa like our plans told. I opened up the door, Backwoods in hand, and an already rolled and lit blunt hanging out of my mouth. Let's just say the sight wasn't a pretty one, under the circumstances of the intervention.

At first I protested and made a big fuss, but after being cursed out a little by my grandmother for attempting to speak back to my mother, I accepted my fate and sat in my chair with my head in my hands. That woman really did know how to make me shut up and listen. Then it was Melissa's turn to speak.

Staying still for so long, being forced to pay attention to everyone, and not being able to smoke was making me a little irritated and antsy. Not to mention having to focus on everyone gave me a headache. I was no longer in the mood for this. As soon as I saw Melissa open up her mouth to share
her part, I felt a deep pang of betrayal.

She had stabbed me in the back! We were childhood friends. We grew up together, smoked our first joint together, went on our first dates together, and yet it was her who had turned me in! Un-fucking-believable.

"Rob, I think tha-" she started.

"Fucking save it, Mel." Everyone gasped. I rubbed my sore tempils. I was long overdue for a smoke. The weight of everybody's previously spoken words clung to me and made me feel heavy. My body started to ache. I wasn't about to sit here and listen to everyone anymore. Grandma Fenty immediately said, "What has gotten into you, gyal? Mi nevah heard yuh speak like that! Where you get it from? Mi no raise you like this!" The room was silent, and Mel's mouth hung agape.

I had never spoken back to my grandmother before. In my youth, I saw my older cousin Davis talk to her with attitude. At the same time, I've never seen someone receive as bad an ass whooping like the one he endured that night. I clamped my lips shut and instead decided to take my anger out on Melissa.

I stood up abruptly and pointed a manicured finger at her. "I swear to God, Mel, you are such a fucking hypocrite! You're the one who even got me smoking in the first place! We smoke together all the time, you smoke just as much as I do and then you want to turn me into my own family and tell them I have an addiction? Everyone in this room has smoked at least once, for crying out loud! I don't need any damn help. I'm fine. Fuck you." I could feel the heat surging to my eyes and cheeks. A tear prodded at the entrance in my eye. Normally I would wipe it away, but this time I let it roll down my face. I didn't care who saw.