Chp.1

"You're the one I want, your the one I need, baby if I was a king, you would be my queen, you're my rock and my roll, you're good for my soul it's true, I'm head over boots for you." I mumbled along with the buzz of my radio. The Texas landscape passed outside my window as I drove to the next rodeo.

It was great not having any ties to one place and traveling alone. I wasn't a really big people person so I never really had the need for much friends and a place to be tied down to. But there are days where I wonder if having full blown conversations with your horse is healthy.

Probably not.

I've been traveling the rodeo circuit for three years but only a couple times did I have someone in the stands cheering for me. Like I said. Not a big people person.

  But I'd take my horse over anyone any day.

I sighed as I saw the rodeo grounds come up. It was the day before the rodeo and it was so hot you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. I mean I'm from Florida but come on. This heat is ridiculous.

I pulled into an empty spot and hopped out, stretching. I lived in my horse trailer. It had a tiny camper in the front, a tack room then the horse stall. I got it from my grandma when she heard about my dream (as she called it). Or more like my only way to escape the hell I lived in. My parents weren't exactly the most loving. So as a graduation gift she bought me a fancy trailer and some tack and sent me on my merry way. She's and grandpa are probably the only ones I can handle.

I was walking to sign in when I was tripped, landing face first into the dirt. I sat up, rubbing it out of my eyes and teeth. I tend to trip a lot but I knew for a fact there wasn't anything where I was walking five seconds ago.

"Sorry didn't see ya there." Said some fake lookin girl from under the protection of a bulky cowboy.

Of course.

Remember me saying I wasn't a people person? Ya well my first year I kind of said some rude things to some girls I was fed up with and now im pretty sure there out to make my life a living hell.

Oh well.

They were with a group of know doubt, bull riders. Not the sweet, mama's boy kind. More like the 'never leave me by myself alone' kind. Well most of them. I did realize earlier on that there was a new rider. And I have to say he was pretty cute. He had chocolate brown hair that poked out from underneath his hat and eyes the color of slate. He was tan and toned and seemed to look like every girls dream. Heck I'll admit even mine.

Once I realized I was still sitting on the ground I jumped to me feet, dusted myself off, and kept on walking but not without sending a glare their way.

I sat down on my tailgate and started eating. I sure did love my food. Especially barbecue. I loved me some barbecue. That's probably the only reason I rode horses still was because it kept me and shape and made me not look like a truck driver.

The bull riding group from earlier walked passed with the girl.

    "Look we've finally found her." The girl stated. Rolling my eyes, I jumped off the tailgate and went to tack Trixy up for a warm up. I pulled out her saddle, bridle, saddle pad, and brushes. 

        When I shut the tack door, I turned and saw that the group was still there. Geez my luck just wasn't turning out very good today. I started brushing off Trixy which didn't take that long since I brushed her last night. I quickly moved on to picking her feet when another laugh from the group rang out. I rolled my eyes, not knowing what in the world they were
laughing at.

    Before they walked away, they knocked over my saddle. Now that got me kind of mad. My saddle was precious to me. No one touches my saddle. After setting down the foot pick, I went to pick it up but gruff hands got to it first. He heaved it back on its stand and looked at me. The new guy. He was really tall. Like, at least a head taller them me. And I was 5'9. He was tan and ripped but not to where it looked unnatural. His eyes were even prettier up close and even though I wasn't exactly boy crazy my heart did thump a little faster.

    "Thanks." I mumbled, never breaking eye contact.

     "Your welcome." His voice was as smooth as honey and would make other girls wobbly in the knees. But I'm not other girls. He tipped his hat then jogged to catch up with his group. Now the tipping of the hat, that might make me swoon.

   "Hot damn." I muttered to myself as I watched him walk away.

      I trotted Trixy in the warm up ring. I was the only one in there since it was nearly 9:00 but plenty of people lined up on the outside to watch me. Mostly boys but some had girls hanging on their arms. Bull riders, bronc riding, and calf roping were the other categories besides barrel racing so it was bound to get crowded. I stopped Trixy, hopped off, and set out barrels.

Hopping back on a middle aged woman called out, "I'll time!" I nodded and backed Trixy up into the alleyway.

    "Get!" I yelled and she was off. We rounded the first barrel tightly. My inside foot mere inches from the ground. Second one was more wider but perfect none the less. Third barrel was perfect. I gently kicked her in the sides and we sped towards the alleyway. I pulled Trixy to a stop and everyone cheered.

    "15.7!" The lady yelled. I nodded then went to cool down Trixy.

       After boarding up Trixy I hopped into my camper part for the night. The inside was tiny. But I loved it. I went into the bathroom and started a shower.

The hot water cascaded down my body and felt lovely on sore muscles. Before I got out I fingered the scar from the bottom of my left rib cage to my breastbone. A riding accident. Or so what I tell other people.

     As I Ran a brush through my hair, a light knock came from the door. I finished brushing and threw my hair into a messy bun before opening it. On the steps was a rose. I quickly cocked my head up to see if anyone was around but there wasn't a soul in sight. Frowning, I picked up the rose and shut the camper door, still frowning.

My phone started ringing.

   "Hello?" I asked, still examining the rose. Who in the world could've possible left me a rose?

    "Hey honey." My grandmas familiar voice came across the line. My frown immediately turned into a smile as I set the rose down and collapsed onto the bed.

     "Hey grandma. How's it going?" I asked, staring up at the ceiling. My grandma and I had always been really close and even though I loved racing I hated having to be away from her.

    "It's going fine. Just wanted to call and check up on ya." I could hear her smile through the phone which made me smile even wider.

    "Well everything's fine on this end." I decided not to give her false hope about the rose.

    After we talked for a bit we finally said our goodbyes. I turned off all my lights and stretched out, waiting for sleep to reach me.

    Soooooooo I was going to completely redo a lot of the chapters but then I figured I would actually be changing the entire book. I know it doesn't have a great plot. I wrote this about two years ago and I was in a mood for some really mushy romance stuff. I am going to go through the chapters and polish up some stuff but I'm not going to completely change everything. Anyways, hope you like the book! Please vote!  

   Annddd to anyone who does rodeo or barrels as you will probably learn I am not an expert in the field. I do ride and I ride western but I don't ride barrels, so if there is any errors which I know their probably is, please just know I'm sorry... I tried my hardest😂