Chp.3

I groaned as I popped the hood to my Chevy. I'm definitely a Ford girl at heart but this was cheap and ran good.

Or so I thought.

  We were two hours from our next rodeo and my truck decides to quit. Great. Opening it up, I realize it's the battery. I looked around like there would magically be an auto shop around but was greeted with a desolate road and nothing but dirt for miles. I scuffed my boot and checked my phone.

   No service

    I sighed and sat down on the pavement pretty much praying for a miracle. It was hot, I was sweaty, and didn't know how in God's green earth I was gonna get going.

     A while later honk sounded and a truck pulled up behind mine. Great. Just great. I stood up and dusted off my butt, ready either to be friendly or drop kick someone's ass.

    "Hey there stranger." Someones said as they walked up. The voice was familiar and when I turned so was the face. "Amelia I believe?" He asked.

    Thank the Lord. I didn't wanna have to deal with some old perverted man. Not that he was much better though.

     "Yep, Hunter, right?" I asked. He nodded, his hat throwing shade over his tan face.

    "So, what's the problem?" He asked leaning over my hood. He ran his hand over some random things, doing a quick once over.

    "The battery. I need a jump." I mumbled. He turned to me and flashed me a smile that nearly made my heart swoon.

    "Well, lucky for you I have an extra battery, be right back." He said, as he walked to his truck. I frowned at his retreating figure.

    "Who carries an  extra car battery?" I mumbled, sticking my hands in my jean pockets.

       "Heard that!" He yelled over his shoulder.

     After we switched out the batteries he asked me a question. "What's your next rodeo?" He asked, leaning up against my truck.

    "Wranglers." I said. "Cool, I'm going to that one too." He said almost shyly as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. I nodded, tapping my hands on my thighs distractedly.

    "Well I better get goin. Thanks again." I said as I smiled. He matched my smile and stood straighter.

    "Your very most welcome, miss Amelia." He said as he took off his cowboy hat and did a bow. I laughed.

   "Whatever, see ya there." I said as I opened my door.

  "Alrighty." He said as I started my truck. I smiled again and he tipped his hat.

      I pulled into a spot next to an empty one. Hopping out, I did my routine of stretch, getting Trixy out, and setting up. I'd be here for three days so might as well get comfy. I pulled out the awning to where it put me and Trixy in the shade. A truck rumbled and came to a stop as it pulled into the empty lot next to mine. A non too familiar face walked over to me.

    "Hey again." Hunter said.

"Hey."

   He stood awkwardly just under the shade of my awning. He didn't look any different from three hours ago and who knew what he wanted.

  "So...." He said as he tried to start conversation. I turned from unpacking my chairs to give him my attention. Right then A squeal announced a petite blonde girl right before she jumped on him.

     "Hunter! I never thought I'd see you again!" She said as she hugged him. I made eye contact with him.

     'Help me' he mouthed. I pressed my lips together and put my hand over my mouth to stop from laughing. I shook my head and turned to set out my two camping chairs.

"Um, hailey. We're not dating anymore." He said as he tried to pry her off. I bit my lip as I leaned against my trailer. She pulled back, her grip on him loosening as her boots finally touched the ground.

"What do you mean?" She asked shocked. His eyes glanced up to mine before looking down at her.

"I mean we broke up two months ago." He said, offering her a sympathetic smile. Her face morphed from happiness to down right scary.

     "You mean your breaking up with me?" She asked, oblivious to what he just said. Ah, the brainless barrel racer. She pulled her arms completely away from him, letting her many-I mean many- bracelets fall. He took a deep breath.

"Yes, Hailey." He mumbled, knowing what was coming. I cringed as she brought an arm up, sending a smack right across his face. The ring she was wearing cut him, causing him to bleed on his eyebrow. She huffed, flipped her hair over her shoulder, and stomped away.

   "You mean the amazing, handsome, hot Hunter is breaking up with me?" I said, batting my eyelashes at him as I tried to mock her tone.

"I hate you." Hunter said, giving me a flat look. I laughed. "Can you fix this?" He said, wiping the blood that trickled down the side of his face.

  "How about a bandaid on it?" I said.

"Fine." He threw his arms up in defeat. I walked into my camper and he followed me. I pulled out my first aid kit and two sodas, setting both on the table in front of him. I took a swig of my soda before going to work. I put peroxide on it, cleaned it, and put a bandaid on it.

"Better?" I asked. He nodded as he gulped his drink.

     It was 5:00 when me and Hunter were sitting outside playing go fish and drinking some more soda.

"8?" He asked.

"Go fish."

"We're freakin adults and are still playing this game." He mumbled, drawing a card from the pile. I frowned and focused more on his face.

"How old are you?" I asked, looking for any signs of aging. His eyes met my curious ones and his face broke out to his once again beautiful smile.

"Twenty three. How about you?"

"Twenty one" I answered. He nodded, focusing back on his deck before folding them together and looking back at me. His eyes bore holes into mine, making me slightly uncomfortable.

"Want to get some food? I'm starving."

  "Sure." I laughed as I collected my cards and set them in the camper.

     We got many stares as we walked around to find food. Finally we found a pizza stand and got a whole one. We started heading back to our campers, walking side by sad.

"Motorcross is on if you want to come and watch." He said as we walked. I gasped, making him give me a weird look.

"Man, I would've missed it. Come on." I said picking up my speed, making him laugh. He followed behind, balancing the pizza in one hand. Goodness gracious did his laugh sound good. I nearly stopped when I had that thought.

    Ew. No.

       We were watching motorcross in his trailer, eating pizza and drinking sodas when I started to finally feel my bed calling out to me.

     "Okay, well I better be hittin the hay." I said standing up and stretching. He gave me a smirk and nodded

        "Okay, night." Hunters said as I walked out.

          "Night." I answered, slamming his door and walking the couple yards to my trailer.

      I crawled into bed but didn't fall asleep. Thoughts of Hunter drifted through my head. I shouldn't be thinking about boys. I'm here for the ride, not the boys. But I couldn't pull his eyes out of my head. They looked gray but when you got close enough you could see flecks of blue the color of the ocean. I sighed and snuggled my blanket.

    "What am I doing?" I whispered to myself. I flopped over, shut my eyes and prayed that sleep would come.