Chp.6

I couldn't let him get hurt. I knew he would be able to take care of himself and probably take care of me too but I couldn't let him get hurt trying to protect me. Hell, he already had a split lip from tonight.

      I made up the decision quickly, knowing if I said the right things I could probably push him away enough to keep him safe. I liked Hunter. He was a great guy. I might even be crushing on him. But it doesn't matter. I wasn't going to let anyone else get hurt.

"Yeah right." I mumbled. A confused look settled on his face. I knew I had to end anything that was about to start but I didn't want to. Especially since it was him.

    "What?" He asked, oblivious. I sighed. God this was gonna be hard. I had done it before with plenty other guys but Hunter was different.

  "Ive dated countless other guys. They all promised me nearly the same thing. Eventually they all left. You'll probably do the same thing." I murmured with a slight shrug. I grimaced at the memories played through my mind but I had to push them away and focus on what I was trying to do; distance myself from Hunter. He didn't need a broken piece of junk in his life.

   "What? How could you say that? You barely know me!" He raised his voice. The plan is going to work. I pushed myself off the couch and tried my hardest to stare him in the eyes without breaking and telling him the truth. The look he gave me made me just want to break down but I had to stay strong.

    "How can I say that? I've been around enough of them to figure it out." I said, clenching my hands into fist. I couldn't really sound mad since my voice was pretty raspy. I couldn't tell if it was from the choking, trying not to cry, or a little of both.

    ""How do you know I won't be different?" He said, taking a step forward and placing his hands on my shoulders. We were close, almost chest to chest and it was starting to confuse my senses. I could tell he didn't want me to leave. I could tell he didn't want me to do what I was doing but I had to. I took a step back, my back hitting his door.

   "I don't, I just...I just don't want to get hurt again. Especially by some cowboy." I said. His face hardened at my words and before he could say anything else I walked out the door. Tears were running down my face again. I couldn't contain them any longer.

    "Amelia!" He called after me, his voice desperate. I opened my door quickly and I made the awful mistake of looking back. He was standing there looking at me with a desperate look on his face. I knew mine probably looked the same. I couldn't shake the feeling that maybe he felt the same way I did about him. Maybe he did truly care. But it was too late now. I swallowed and shook my head before walking inside.

As soon as I shut my door I sunk to the ground, crying. My phone kept buzzing, no doubt hunter, but I didn't grab it. I was a mess. I didn't have any friends. My family neglected me. I'm two states away from the people who actually care and I just dissed the one person that could help me through it. I threw my head back, it thumping against the door as I stared at the ceiling.

    "Just take me." I whispered. I was tired of living a life of constantly pushing people away. He didn't take me but lightning crackled outside and all of a sudden rain started pounding on the side of the trailer. Great.  I sighed and took a deep breath. I fingered the necklace grandma  gave me. A text lit up my screen and I couldn't help but read it.

Hunter:
You know what. I'm done. I was being nice but now, I can't do it. I thought I liked you. I thought that maybe you liked me too but guess not. I was trying to help you. I wanted to be there for you but you obviously don't want that. I'll leave you and your problems be. Don't worry, your secret is safe. That seems to be the only thing you care about.

Tears fell down my face again. I pressed my lips together and took a deep breath, trying to stop crying. My plan worked but I felt worse now than I did before. I went to text back.

Amelia:
I'm sorry

I hit send as a tear splattered onto the screen.