Chp. 15

I heard the noises before I could see anything. It was mostly silent, only a couple hushed voices speaking. I felt warm and snuggled down even further before I slowly opened my eyes. I was laying on the couch, a blanket over me. I blinked in confusion, glancing around the room. My eyes finally landed on Hunter and I eased just a bit before realizing he was talking to a police officer. That's when all the past events rushed to my head.

     I sat up, placing a hand to my head to ease the pounding. Hunter was by my side in a minute, knelt down as he placed a hand on my back.

     "Easy there darlin'." He mumbled, guiding me to lay back down. He went to stand up but I grabbed his hand. He glanced down at me before looking back up at the officer.

    "Are we done here sir? I'd like to take care of my girl." He asked. I glanced at the officer who was staring a little below my eyes. My neck. His eyes flitted up to mine and he gave me a kind smile.

    "Sure thing son. I'll keep ya up to date on...well you know. Have a blessed holiday." He topped his hat before showing himself out. As soon as he heard the door click, Hunter's attention was back on me.

    "Don't ever do that to me again. I thought he killed you or something." He mumbled as he brought me into his chest, hugging me tightly. I didn't miss the bruises already showing up on his face and guilt immediately consumed me. He was always getting hurt because of me. I hated it.

     "I'm sorry." I croaked out, my voice hoarse from being choked out.

       "Don't be. It's not your fault assholes keep showing up and trying to hurt you." He said in a cold voice, pulling me even closer.

     "But it is my fault that you keep getting hurt over it. You shouldn't be getting hurt over me." I mumbled. He pulled away enough to look down at my face. His eyes held a softness that was only meant for me.

     "I'd take a thousand beating if it meant you were safe and unharmed. You matter to me sweetheart and as much as I know you hate it I won't hesitate to take a couple punches if it means your safe with me. You can't help what comes along with you and I accepted that. Why can't you?" He asked me softly. I stared up at him with so much admiration. This man would be the death of me. He was absolutely perfect.

   "I love you." I mumbled burying my head into the crook of his neck. He let out a light laugh and kissed the side of my head.

    "I love you too."

    After a couple more minutes of cuddling, I decided to get up and shower. I went to the guest bedroom, knowing I didn't want to be reminded of what transpired a couple hours ago in our bedroom. Hunter understood and as I went into the bathroom, he went into our bedroom to grab me some clothes.

    I nearly choked as I saw myself in the mirror. Mascara had streamed down my face but the worst was the bruises. They had already turned black and purple, perfect hand prints pictured on both sides. I leaned in to get a better look and felt disgusted with myself.

    Hunter came up and sighed, watching me through the mirror as I critiqued myself.

   "They'll fade sweetheart, don't worry." He said softly, caressing one side while he placed a kiss to the other. "I'm gonna go fix the door, take as long as you need to and holler if you need anything." He said before placing a kiss on my lips. I nodded and he left without another word.

After hours of decorating and cleaning up bristles from the Christmas tree, Hunter and I sat on the couch, drinking hot cocoa and looking into the fireplace. I took a deep breath and smiled.

  He had to force me to finish decorating, saying that it would lift my mood. It did a lot and I was almost where I was this morning if it weren't for the painful reminder every time I turned my neck. It could've been a lot worse though.

   After I passed out, Hunter bear Chris unconscious before carrying me downstairs and barricading him in our room. He called the police and made sure I was okay and comfortable. He dealt with all the questioning and pressed charges against Chris, sending him away for good. He was so different than any other man I had ever met. I was so happy to have him in my life. I sighed.

     "What's wrong?" Hunter asked as he put his arm around me.

        "If you would've told me I'd be here six months ago I wouldn't believe you." I whispered. He chuckled and kissed my cheek.

       "I was thinking we could invite your grandparents over for Christmas." He said as I rested my head on his shoulder. It shot right back up at the mention of my grandparents.

    I talked to gran every couple days but I hadn't seen them since they came to visit. I was excited for them to meet Hunter and to see the ranch.

    "Really?" I asked as I quirked an eyebrow.

      "Yeah, I'd really like to meet them." He said looking down at me. I beamed up at him and kissed his cheek.

    "Okay, I'll call them later." I said.

--------------------------- --------------------------- --------------------------- --------------------------- ----------------

Okay I know it's cheesy and I would've loved to edit this part out of the story but I didn't have the heart to redo the storyline I worked so hard on as a 13 year old