Chp.9

Two weeks later

"Amelia Campbell on her horse Trixy." The announcer called. "Get!" I yelled. We rounded the first barrel, my foot skimmed the dirt. Second barrel, a breeze. Third barrel, beautiful. We raced down home stretch, passing the sensor. "16 flat ladies and gents!" The announcer yelled. I hopped off of Trixy and made my way to the trailer.

Since I ran at sunset it was dark when I started untacking Trixy. I unpacked her and set her up with hay and a scoop of feed before heading back to put myself to bed. It was a cool night and the breeze felt lovely on my skin. My phone buzzed. I slipped it out of my pocket and froze when I saw the text.

Turn around.

I turned around and saw him. My dad. My blood ran cold and I silently asked the God above why in the world do I have such a crappy life?

   "What do you want?" I asked, backing away. He sent me a sickly smile as he continued to take steps toward me.

    "I just want my daughter back." He hissed. Before lunging at me. I bolted. He was hot on my tail, I knew. I ran for the concession stands. I needed to be in public. I made that mistake last time. I dodged people, trucks and trailers as I tried to lose him but I could here him coming. It was no use.

I ran as quick as I could through the sea of cowgirls and cowboys. I looked back and saw my dad. He was gaining ground. I took a sharp turn and ran into someone.

"Amelia? What's wrong?" They asked as they gripped my forearms to steady me. I looked up. Hunter. I grabbed onto his arms, fear coursing through me.

"My My dad.He's here." I stumbled the words out. His eyes widened and looked over my head before turning cold as he gripped my right hand, dragging me out of the crowd and towards what I think was his trailer. We ran, trying to get away from my dad.

I turned around and saw him. My dad had gained ground. A lot of ground.

"Hunter." I warned. His hand tightened around mine.

"I know, we're getting closer." He whispered for only me to hear. We had broke out of the crowd and were at a full sprint towards his trailer. "Amelia!" My dad yelled after us. I bit my lip. Hunter's trailer came into view. We skidded to a stop, he pushed me in before him, and he locked the door.

He turned off the lights so my dad couldn't see if we were in here and pushed me in between a cabinet and the bathroom door. It blocked up from the windows. We ended up being pushed together, our chests pressed up against each other. I was shaking and tears rolled down my face. I couldn't help it any more. It was too real. Too close. I let out a shaky breath and that's all Hunter could stand. He pulled me into his chest protectively and I wrapped my arms around his waist. It would've been awkward in any other situation but right now, I just needed someone. The smell of hay and cologne covered his green t-shirt.

"It's okay." He whispered into my hair. I nodded as I snuggled in closer to him. Banging on the door made me flinch and Hunter pulled me closer if that was possible. I looked up at him. His eyes were trained on the door before he looked down to me. A softness was laced in them as we held our stare.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered. He let out a sigh and shook his head.

"I know, it's okay. I'm sorry too. We'll figure that out later, right now we just need to be quiet." He whispered. Another bang came and the tears started fresh again. One of his hands held my head as the other one held me up against him. He had my face turned so I wasn't facing the door. I took a deep breath.

  "Were going to have to go out there." I whispered. He sighed then pulled me away from him so I could look at him.

"I'm going to go out there. You're staying in here and as soon as I go out, you lock that door. Do you here me? Do not come out until I come and get you." He said, moving his hands to my shoulders. I nodded.

"Good luck." I whispered.

I did as I was told except I watched from the window. You could here my dad yelling. They pushed each other around a bit. After that they were talking. I slid the window open a crack so I could here.

"She's my daughter." My dad said.

"I know that sir, but you can't chase her around the rodeos. She left for a reason and if she doesn't want to talk to you then don't push her." Hunter said calmly.

"She's my daughter. I have right to her." Dad said.

"What do you have right to do to her?" Hunter asked.

"Son, don't you understand? She's using you. She used her last boyfriend." Dad said. He wasn't even around when I dated Chris. How does he even know about him?

Sir, I'm going to say this as nice as possible. If I see you around her another time I-"

"She's my daughter." My dad growled as he cut Hunter off. Hunter took a step closer.

"If you lay a hand on her I will cut it off." Hunter growled back. I've never seen a guy so protective over me and by the coldness in his voice you could tell he was serious.

"Why is she so important to you?" My dad said with a smirk. I frowned, kind of wanting to know the answer too.

"Because I...that's none of your business. Now, leave before I call the cops." Hunter hissed. I shut the window before I could here anything else.

    I slid down the cabinet until I was sitting. Why did my dad come back? How did he find me? Why did Hunter help me without hesitation? And why the heck do I have that fluttery feeling in my chest again? A couple minutes later a light knock came at the door.

"Amelia, open up." Hunter said. I got up, turned on the lights, and unlocked the door. He pulled me away from the door. I kept my eyes trained on the floor, embarrassed from the whole fiasco that just happened.

"Look at me." He said. I looked up into his deep blue eyes. "He said he was going to come back." He whispered. I nodded and sighed. He always came back. It was always a promise.

"I need to get back to my trailer. I have a puppy now." I said with a slight smile, hoping to lighten the mood.

    "Okay come on." I could here the smile in his voice. He let us out of his trailer and locked it. We walked side by side towards the direction of my trailer. I couldn't help but keep looking over my shoulder every couple minutes but it was better since he was by my side.

       "I need to tell you something." Hunter said. I looked over at him but his eyes didn't meet mine. His jaw was set and he had his hands in his pockets.

   "Okay." I said, scrunching my eyebrows at his behavior. I was glad we were on better terms...kind of.

"I have a girlfriend." He said. I stopped walking. You could've taken out my heart and stomped on it and it still wouldn't hurt as much as it hurt now. After just what happened I needed someone. Apparently he wanted to end any feelings coming back before he did something he shouldn't have. I understood I really do. And there was nothing goin on between us anyways. There was no reason for me to feel the way I did.

"Oh." I answered trying to sound okay with it. "Um, I can walk the rest. Thank you for helping with my dad. Goodnight." I said before speed walking around the corner. The only reason I did that was I didn't want him seeing me cry. I ran after I was out of sight to my trailer.