Cold And Broken

Rain streamed down the window and pounded on the roof. Thunder boomed overhead and a lone child under a bed flinched violently. She couldn't believe what was happening. Where was her brother? Her mom? Dad? The cat?

The thunder cracked again, and the 13 year old girl was struck by a horrendous thought. What if that wasn't thunder? What if those men--

The door to the room slammed open and, shocked, the girl withdrew farther under the bed. There was a shuffling sound, not yelling or steady footsteps like she had been expecting.

"Hi...soka?" A weak voice called. "Hisoka, don't... don't come out."

Hisoka's eyes went wide at her twin brother's voice. Eri sounded like he was hurt. She was tempted to come out and help him despite what he had said.

"Get in..." Eri panted. Hisoka saw his knees connect with the floor, along with one of his hands. There was blood on it. "The vent... and stay--stay quiet. Hurry..."

Terrified, and having heard a few shouts from somewhere close by in the house, Hisoka turned and quietly pried the vent cover halfway off. She swung it to the side and slid in backwards. Eri heard her close the cover and smiled weakly. The 'thunder' had indeed been gunshots, and one of the bullets had hit him, on the left side of his stomach. He was slowly bleeding to death. But he had to protect Hisoka.

"WHERE THE HELL DID THAT LITTLE BRAT GO?!" One of the men shouted. Wincing, Eri forced himself to stand up and face the door. He almost blacked out. But the loud, heavy footsteps were moving away, to Eri's confusion. But then the sound of lighter footsteps coming in his direction reached Eri's ears and he understood.

For some reason, the leader had come to finish him off personally.

)))Talking stuff explaining that the family had gotten mixed in with something illegal the boss guy was doing and he had to eliminate them before they told the police(((

Eiichi watched the boy swaying, half from the ton of information just given, half from blood loss. He smiled.

"And since you know, Eri-kun..." He said, holding out his hand to the side