call #5

the phone line stays silent before he mutters a weak, "hello."

"hi, evan. it's been a while."

"i'm sorry."

"for what?"

"hanging up on you."

"it's okay."

"no. it's not. that was rude of me. you were just telling me things i didn't want to hear and i couldn't take it."

"it's fine, evan. really."

"i'm sorry i'm so fucked up."

"don't apologize. anyone that ever did something good in their life was a little fucked up."

he pauses, thinking over her words. "i guess that's true."

"trust me, i'm a history major. my entire studies revolve around fucked up people."

they both laugh for a while before the phone line goes silent again.

"do you like dogs or cats?" he asks suddenly, catching her off guard.

"dogs. you?"

"dogs. hands down. what's your favorite color?"

"magenta."

"mine's blue. not like the sky, really. more like a navy blue. favorite movie?"

"oh, i don't know. titanic maybe."

"why titanic?"

"i like the representation of good and bad."

"what do you mean?"

"well, in life there is so much good. an overwhelming amount of good, almost. but there's also bad. we notice the bad much more than we notice the good. we fixate on the bad things that happen in life and forget about all the good in the world. i like that rose didn't forget about the good in jack."

"but she still lost him."

"have you ever heard of yin and yang?"

"that black and white circle thing, right?"

"yeah. in every good is a little bad and in every bad is a little good. it was bad that rose lost jack. but the lessons she learned from him and held with her for the rest of her life were good. through that bad experience she became a better person."

"do you think that could happen to me? with what i'm going through right now, do you think something good will come from it?"

"i know so."