the e n d

she turns her attention away from the television when she hears keys rustling on the other side of the front door. a moment later, evan steps inside with a bag of takeout and a smile on his face.

"i know it's not the nice candlelit dinner i promised you," he says sheepishly, shutting the door behind him, "but how was i supposed to know that you don't cook noodles in the oven?"

"evan, everyone knows that you don't cook noodles in the oven."

"everyone?"

"everyone."

"well, shit."

he walks over to the table, setting down the 'thank you' bag and pulling out carton after carton. the aroma of cheap chinese food fills the apartment and tee eagerly hops up from the couch to join him.

she wraps her arms around his waist, pressing her face into his chest to greet him. he leans down, planting a soft kiss to the top of her head before reaching into his back pocket. he pulls out a tiny candle and sets it in the middle of the table.

"i didn't forget the candle," he says proudly, widening his arms to showcase the meal in front of them. "voila. our fancy candlelit dinner."

she laughs before taking a seat, reaching for the carton closest to her and dishing up.

"that's a very small candle," she mentions, nodding towards the circular object in the center of the table.

evan pulls out a lighter from the drawer in the kitchen before lighting the tiny wick. "yeah. but it was called a tea light candle. i couldn't resist."

"happy anniversary," she says, smiling sweetly as she pours a bit of rice onto her plate.

he leans over the table, reaching for the back of her neck to pull her in for a kiss. "happy anniversary, babe."

"so. i have some good news i've been waiting to tell you."

he tosses the lighter back into the kitchen drawer before finally taking a seat. "what's that?"

"my parents are moving back to seattle."

he quirks an eyebrow. "oh? so i finally get to meet them."

"yep. but guess what else that means?"

"what?"

"chris and zoe are moving in with them. my dad is retiring and he'll be able to stay home with chris and look after him."

his face lights up with a smile. "so..."

"i can quit. i don't have to work the sex line anymore."

the small smile that he previously wore breaks out into a full-on grin as he stands from his chair, making his way around the table. his arms wrap around her shoulders as he plants small kisses all over her face. she can't help but laugh as she squirms under his grip.

"evan, i'm trying to eat," she says through her laughter.

he ignores her, continuing his sweet assault before pulling her out of the chair and into his arms. he stalks off towards the bedroom, despite her weak protests. once they make it to the room, he gently tosses her onto the bed, following directly after.

"evan!"

"we have to celebrate," he says, pecking her gently on the lips.

she laughs. "let me celebrate with my sweet and sour chicken."

"i'll be your sweet and sour chicken."

she rolls her eyes, pushing him off her and standing up from the bed. "you're a dork."

"i can't believe you're passing this," he gestures to himself, "up for some shitty chinese food."

she laughs, walking out of the bedroom and back to the dining room where their romantic candlelit dinner sits waiting for them.

"i'm going to go take some calls," tee says, planting a kiss on evan's cheek and getting up from the couch.

he reaches for her wrist, pulling her back towards him before kissing her hand softly. "love you."

a blush spreads across her cheeks. "i love you too."

he sends her one last smile before dropping his hand from her wrist and directing his gaze back to the television.

while tee was excited to stop working, she still had a month of rent left to pay before she could fully quit. shutting the door behind her, she lets out a sigh. she tosses herself onto evan's bed and pulls out her phone that had previously been silenced.

minutes later, it rings. she readies herself to answer it, putting on her sexiest voice before picking up the call.

"hello?" she says, her words sounding breathy.

an abnormally deep voice responds. "hey, sweetheart."

"hi. what can i do for you today?"

"i'm online, browsing. and i found something i want to try with you."

"okay, hon. what's that?"

he breathes deeply. "roleplay."

she resists the urge to gag. "great. what are we roleplaying?"

"i want you to go online and google exactly what i tell you."

"okay," she says hesitantly, reaching for her cell phone and pulling google up.

"you ready, baby?" he asks.

"ready."

"i want you to google the script to shrek."

she freezes, taking in the laughs from the other line that are now much-less deep and much more familiar. the same laughs sound from the other room as well.

"evan!" she screams, hanging up the phone.