call #28

"hello?"

he laughs. "hi. it's evan. did you not check the caller id before answering?"

"hey, evan." she pauses to yawn. "sorry. i just woke up from a nap."

"that's okay. how has your day been? if you're just waking up from a nap i'd assume it's going pretty well."

"it's been really good. very relaxing. how's your day been?"

"good. i've been busy."

"yeah? with what?"

"val is coming over and i'm cooking us dinner so i've been prepping for that all day. it's her first time at my place."

"oh. that's exciting. val is the girl you went on the blind date with?"

"yeah. that's her."

"i thought you didn't really see that going anywhere?"

"i don't really. we're just having fun. she's a nice girl and i thought it'd be nice of me to make her dinner."

"it seems like you're spending a lot of time together. why don't you see a future with her?"

"i don't know. there's just no depth there. i can't picture myself sharing every aspect of my life with her. anyway, enough talk about val. what're you doing tonight?"

"i'm actually going out for dinner."

"oh yeah? any special occasion?"

"actually, yeah. it's—"

the doorbell echoes on his end. "oh shit. i guess val is early. i have to go, tee. have fun at dinner. we'll talk soon."

he hangs up the phone.

she sighs. "it's my birthday."