call #22

"i called back, just like you said. what do you need to tell me?" he says, getting straight to the point.

"no hello?" she laughs.

"seriously, tee. what's going on? you're freaking me out."

she sighs. "it's really not a big deal. i just, i don't know. how do i know that i can trust you?"

"have i given you a reason not to trust me?"

she pauses. "no."

"then there's your answer."

"i'm just scared. i don't know."

"what are you scared of?"

"well, this is a sex hotline. i'm scared of opening up too much and having it thrown back in my face. i have to apply for jobs one day. i want to be married one day. i'm scared that if i tell you too much you'll hurt me. that, somehow, opening up to you is going to come back and bite me in the ass."

"tee, we're friends. if it's not clear that my intentions are not malicious by now then it's never going to be clear."

"i know, i know. that's why i'm doing this. i'm just scared."

"it's all right to be a little scared." he gulps. "just tell me what's going on."

she sighs. "i want you to meet someone."

"okay," he says hesitantly. if the baby cry was anything to go by, he was sure he was going to be met by a child's voice.

there's some rustling on her end before she quietly says, "please, don't mention the whole sex line thing. you're just my friend."

his heart begins to race as he anticipates what's to come next. though there was nothing he could have done to prepare himself for what was to happen.

"okay," she says quietly. "here you go, evan."

he sits silently, waiting for the person on the other line to speak.

"hello?" the voice is unfamiliar and he finds himself scrunching his face up in confusion.

it's a man's voice.