call #14

"i've made so many mistakes," he says, a sad sigh following his words.

"what happened? is everything okay?"

"no. it's not."

she pauses. "is it about your ex?"

"no. worse."

"do you want to talk about it?"

he stays silent before letting out another sigh, reluctantly saying, "i went on my old myspace today."

"and? did something bad happen?"

"a lot of bad things happened."

"care to elaborate?"

"i don't think i need to. that is the bad news. i went on myspace."

"wait," she says, letting out a laugh. "that's why you're upset? because you logged into your old myspace?"

"you don't understand. i used to be in a punk band."

"oo," she says, still laughing at his anticlimactic news. "that does sound horrible."

"we named our band pu$$ay. with dollar signs. dollar signs, tee."

she can't get a word out past her laughter.

"yeah, that's fine," he says. "laugh at my pain. i'm not bothered."

"i'm sorry." she tries to catch her breath. "it's just so funny."

"my profile picture had a thermal effect."

"oh no."

"oh yes."

"if it helps, my profile picture was a photo of me sticking my tongue out while wearing 3d glasses from the movie theater."

"we would have been myspace lovers if i'd seen that back in the day."

"oh yeah?"

"definitely. you would've been in my top five for sure."

"it's not real myspace love if we don't both put the same song on our playlist."

"what's our song going to be then?" he asks.

"it has to be something emo. something that fits the era."

they both pause, thinking over the possible song choices before he says, "i've got it."

"shoot."

"fall for you by secondhand serenade."

"oh my god, yes. the most emo love song of them all. that's it. we're myspace official then."

"i can't wait to start writing vague, emo posts about how in love with you i am. don't worry, i'll wait a week. wouldn't want to seem like we're moving too fast."

"is it too soon for me to post a picture of myself holding up a paper with your name written on it?"

"much too soon."