call #26

"guess what happened," he says quickly.

"hello." she laughs. "what happened?"

"guess."

"i don't know. give me a hint."

"well, a lot happened actually. um, grocery store."

"grocery store? what sort of hint is that?" she asks, her eyebrows scrunching up.

"you're not very good at this game."

"i haven't even guessed yet." she pauses to think. "did you do something inappropriate with melons?"

"i am not a thirteen-year-old boy. guess again."

"i have no idea, evan. grocery store is a shitty hint and i think you know that."

he laughs. "okay, you're right. i ran into my ex-girlfriend at the grocery store."

"okay," she drawls. "and why do you sound so excited about that?"

"i felt absolutely nothing."

"what?"

"i saw her and i didn't feel like my heart was going to leap out of my chest. i didn't feel like i was going to break down and beg her to take me back. i'm over her. officially."

she smiles. "that's great. i'm happy to hear that. did you talk to her?"

"yep! that's how i really knew i was over her. when i first saw her i sort of just froze. after she saw me i knew i couldn't escape and we were forced to talk."

"what'd she say?"

"just a load of bullshit about being sorry for leaving me for my cousin. it doesn't matter. what matters is that i don't give a flying fuck about it anymore."

she laughs. "well, great. i'm really happy for you."

"that's not the only news i have."

"eventful day," she says with a laugh. "what's your other news?"

"i'm going on a date."

she freezes. she's not sure why her heart seems to slow down so much or why her throat suddenly feels constricted. she has no explanation as to why her eyes are suddenly brimmed with tears or why she feels as if she's been punched in the gut.

she swallows. "that's... great."

"you think so?" he asks, seeming unsure. "benny set it up. i've never met the girl. i guess it's technically a blind date. feels a bit weird."

fucking benny, she thinks to herself, still confused by her strong emotional reaction to his news.

"do you not want to go?" she asks, her voice laced with hope.

"i don't know. i mean, worst case i make a friend out of it. maybe even a friend with some benefits. it has been a while, you know? or is that shitty of me? i don't know what i'm doing. i've never really been single."

she frowns and leans her head back against her wall, her previous hope gone. "if she's into it then why not."

"i'm getting ahead of myself anyway. we might hate each other." he laughs. "or maybe she'll be really great."

she sighs. "maybe."

"you don't think it's too soon?" he asks quietly.

"you said you're over your ex, right? if that's true then no; i don't think it's too soon."

he lets out a sigh of relief. "thank you, tee. i knew i could count on you."

"of course, evan."