Four

A day. From sunset to sunset again, Shawn was in Mr.Rush's hands, and I couldn't imagine what Mr.Rush would do to him. Honestly, Marcus got the most punishments out of everyone, but never for hitting Mr.Rush.

I can't believe what Shawn got himself into.

I was sitting on my bed, the door cracked open because I was just a little too tired after everything, just hoping that Shawn would actually make it out okay.

I felt terrible over the fact that I wasn't being punished as well. Sarah told me she saw the beginning, when she went into the basement floor. She said that when Mr.Rush interrogated Shawn over if I asked him to leave the hotel, Shawn kept telling him that I didn't say anything about the hotel, and we just went to the lobby for somewhere quiet.

So here I was, sitting down on my bed and counting every second until Shawn would be back. I barely knew this guy, and yet he saved my skin from Mr.Rush.

Suddenly, I hear a knock, and without turning around I tell whoever it is to come in, knowing it was most likely Sarah.

"You should probably keep your door shut." I hear, and turn to see a very bruised Shawn. His lip was cut and bleeding, he had a black eye, and his arms were covered in cuts and bruises.

"Shawn!" I say, but it comes out in a whisper. I had never seen this much damage happen to someone due to Mr.Rush, but then again, I hadn't seen someone hit Mr.Rush either.

"Hey, look." He says, walking closer to the bed, and I notice he looked a bit unstable, his eyes starting to shut. Shawn lifts up his shirt and I see cuts, scrapes, bruises, a six pack I would have to admire later, and once he turned around, a huge "Hotel Midnight" branding.

"Matching tattoos." He says with a slight smile, right before falling onto my bed and going unconscious. At first I was worried, but after all the pain he went through, I would knock out too.

I decided now would be a good time to clean his cuts, since he probably shouldn't bear any more pain, and it was going to sting a bit.

Quietly I go down to the worker's level, where I knew there was a small clinic. I knew that Stacey, the original worker at the clinic, was ashed, so the clinic would be empty for me to grab some stuff and go.

I quickly enter the clinic, grab a kit, and place what I needed into the kit. As I walk out I hear distant crying, and me being the absolute idiot I always am, check on who it was.

I notice the room the crying was coming from, and through the crack spot two people in Hotel Midnight uniforms, one trying to comfort the crying one.

Of course, and that moment, my spy skills couldn't get any better, so I accidentally tip of the door, which causes it to open more and expose me. The people both turn to look at the cause of the sound, and that's when my heart stops.

Marcus and Lilly.

"Oh my God." I say, my hand on my mouth. I was going to throw up. They had both been thrown into the worker's level, which means that they were stuck here forever.

"Nora!" Marcus says in excitement, and gets up to come and hug me. Lilly, however, stays put, but I can tell that she's just as excited to see me as well.

"What's going on?" I whisper, beginning to back up. If there was one thing I knew for certain, it's that no hotel guest could become a worker unless they agreed to it.

"Mr.Rush caught us with a clock, and threatened to ash Lilly if I didn't become a worker. Then he told Lilly he would ash me if she didn't do the same."

The only way to actually die in Hotel Midnight is if you get ashed, and ashing is not a pretty sight.

"I need to go." I say, remembering Shawn. I had to clean his cuts before he woke up.

"Are you hurt? What's wrong?" Lilly asks, noticing the medical kit in my hand.

"I need to go." I say again, still in shock.

"Come back, okay? It gets lonely here, and no offense to Marcus but I need a little girl company sometimes." She tells me, and I nod my head silently before rushing out of the clinic, and going back to my room, not looking back once.

The only thing rummaging through my mind was Shawn, despite what happened to Marcus and Lilly. I couldn't stop thinking about what could have happened to him while he was being punished, and I felt so terrible because I know inside that I deserved the punishment, not him.

Once I get to my room I notice Shawn still laying on my bed, asleep. I walk over and pull off his shirt, not knowing how much time I had left to clean his cuts before he woke up, because there were a lot of them. So I got to work quickly.

Finally all the cuts on his chest and beautiful six pack had been cleaned out, and the ones that needed to were bandaged. Just when I'm about to start his face, I hear a knock on the door, and my heart stops.

"Nora, are you in there? Open up, now."  I hear, and bite my lip in fear when I recognize the voice as Mr.Rush.

"Open the door!" He yells, getting angrier. I know I shouldn't, because he would see the bed right away, and understand that I was cleaning Shawn's cuts.

"Now!" He yells, and my heart stops. Slowly, I begin to walk towards the door, not sure of what the outcome will be when he sees Shawn.

"Excuse me, are you the manager? Or is this a bad time- I can come back later." I let go of my breath when I notice that there was also a woman on the other side of the door, who was most likely new.

"No, not a bad time at all! So tell me, how can I help you?" His voice changes completely and it slowly disappears, letting me know that he walked away.

I walk back to Shawn and continue cleaning the cuts on his face, my heart still racing from what had just happened. Finally I'm finished, and place everything back in the kit, then hiding it in case something like this happened again.

When I turn back around I see that Shawn is still asleep, and tired as ever from not sleeping last night due to worrying about him, I lay beside Shawn, my body faced away from him.

And then I sleep.

When I wake up I forget for a moment. Where I was, what had just happened. Until it slowly floods into my mind and all I can do is wish to forget.

"Sleep well?" I hear, and turn to see Shawn sitting down on the bed. Was he watching me?

"Uh, yeah. You?"

"Great. Hey, thanks for bandaging my cuts and everything. Really, it means a lot."

"Yeah, no problem. You kind of saved my from getting a beat down, courtesy of Mr.Rush, so I owe you." I tell him honestly, and he stays silent for a while, looking at me. Finally, he speaks again, filling the silent room with his voice.

"So, can I ask you something?" He says, and I stare at him for a moment before answering.

"Yeah?" I say, slightly confused.

"If I'm going to be stuck here for a while, can you explain to me where I am? Like, everything you know, I need to know. Because I'm a little confused on what Hotel Midnight really is."

I sit up, looking at his bruised face, and nod.

"Sure." I answer, and he gives me a half smile, which is probably the cutest thing in the world.

"Alright. So, where do we begin?"

SHAWN MENDES ILLUMINATE SEPTEMBER 23RD PUT IT ON YOUR CALENDARS MY DUDES