Thirty-One

Marcus was seated by a table, his back to me.

"Lilly, I thought I said-" he starts, but pauses when he sees me.

"Oh my God." He whispers, and gets up before sprinting over to be and engulfing me in a hug. It didn't last long, however, because I slowly push him off of me.

"What's going on?" I ask, trying to create a distraction after seeing Shawn slowly walk to the table, where the key was.

"Sarah wants to keep the key forever, so that no one would be able to leave the hotel. Ever." Marcus says, and I raise an eyebrow.

"And you're with her on all of this?"

"No, of course not! I thought you knew I was better than that, Nora." Marcus says, and I watch Shawn grab the key and shove it in his pocket.

"Listen, I'm going to disappear in twenty one minutes, so I should probably get out of here." I tell him once Shawn is by my side.

"You actually have eleven minutes, if you're still disappearing at 12:01. I wish I could get you the key, I swear, but Sarah would kill me if she knew it was gone." Marcus says, not bothering to turn around.

"Kill you? Really?"

"She has a gun. Like, a real, working gun. I didn't believe her until she shot Mary."

I paused. How did she get a working gun? And out of all people in this hotel, Sarah is the last person I would want holding a gun.

"Is Lilly in on all of this? The whole, keep the key thing?" I ask him, slowly backing towards the door.

Marcus is quiet for more than a moment, so I realized I already had my answer.

"I should go." I say, and before he can answer I'm gone, running towards the elevator that will get me off of this floor. Chances are I only had five minutes, so Shawn and I ran faster than we ever had before.

The moment we reach the elevator, I press the button, waiting a moment before it finally opens.

It opens a moment too late. Because the second we're both inside and press the button, Sarah is ten feet away, a gun pointed straight at me.

"Give me the key!" She yells, and the moment she notices the elevator door almost closed shut, she takes her shot.

A loud sound echoed in my ears as the elevator door shut, and we began to go to the lobby.

Probably due to the elevator, I felt a wave of heat rush through my body, and I instantly felt tired, resting my head onto the wall.

The deafening sound still hadn't stopped. I felt like I could hear everything, but then again nothing that wasn't this awful sound.

Slowly, the sound stops, and I shut my eyes for a second in absolute relief. When I open them, ready to ask Shawn if he had heard what I had, I noticed I was sitting down on the elevator floor, and Shawn was shaking me awake.

"Nora? Nora, come on." He says to me, and although his voice sounds soft, I can see it looks like he was yelling.

I open my mouth to speak, but no words would come out. What was going on?