Fourteen

"So, basically everything Sarah told us was one hundred percent all lies? That's just great."

"Actually, I'm pretty sure there was some truth in there. But without a doubt, Sarah is hiding something."

"Maybe she doesn't want us to leave Hotel Midnight? I mean, first her best friend absolutely ditches her, it must suck not being able to walk out the doors because you're stuck here forever and she's not. Maybe she just doesn't want anyone else to leave."

"So, just a huge jealously plot is what you're trying to tell me is going on inside of Sarah's head. If she can't leave the Barbie Dream House then not another single person will." I ask Shawn, an eyebrow raised.

"Well, yeah. Besides your choice in comparing this place to a childhood toy, that's basically what I'm trying to say here." He replies, and I'm silent for a moment before nodding my head.

"Yeah, it could be. Of course Sarah has been very different than what you just saw back there, she's way sweeter than that, and much more honest."

"But maybe that's just her alter ego. Like, she acts that way in front of everyone as a cover up. We just cornered her back there, so her other side most likely just showed up. She's two faced, Nora."

I stare at him, a smirk on my face, before shaking my head.

"You watch way too much crime tv." I tell him, before walking away.

"Only the Behavioral Analysis Unit!" Shawn calls out, then following me.

"Okay, I'll admit that your theory may be correct, since I've been here for only a year. And I'm not trying to say a year isn't that long, the three hundred sixty six days I was here before you came sucked, Shawn. But still, who knows?" I admit, and Shawn begins to look at me strangely.

"Three hundred sixty six? Nora, you're just a day off, a year has three hundred sixty five days." Shawn tries to correct me, and I shake my head as we both take a turn left.

"Not if its a leap year." I reply, and watch him shudder.

"How tragic."

"Yeah, a real pity. The extra day just sort of killed me."

"Wait, Nora, I've got to ask this, and don't ask why, but this question has been killing me for no reason at all."

"Um, can I know what it is?" I ask.

"How old are you? Are you sixteen or seventeen? Because you've spent a full year at this place." Shawn questions, and I have to hold myself from laughing. I was more than a little confused on why he was asking this, but answered anyways.

"Well Shawn, in this hotel? I'm seventeen. Outside, I'm still sixteen year old Nora. But-" I start, and look right in left in the halls to see if anyone was coming over before coming closer to Shawn and beginning to whisper.

"I have dreams, sometimes. About the world outside of this hotel. I think they might be memories, because these dreams are crazy realistic. Of course, these dreams only happen when I do something nice for the Hotel."

"Something nice for the Hotel? Like what?"

"I saw a little kid plant a bunch of seriously ugly Curious George sticker on the hallway walls. Once he was gone I pulled them off- don't ask why though, I just did."

"Okay, so what were the dreams about?" Shawn asks, practically dying to know more about what was going on.

"Well, the first one, I was sitting in a car with a young woman by my side, and another woman driving. There were suitcases behind us, so I guess we were on a road trip to somewhere.

"My idea is that the woman driving was my mom, and the lady next to me was a cousin, or even sibling. But anyways, I was super happy, talking about gifts. The lady sitting next to me said 'Hold on, Nora, it's not your birthday yet.' And I replied with 'So I can't party a day early?' You know what that means, Shawn?" I ask him, and he shakes his head.

"It means that technically, I'm eighteen in this hotel. Which means, technically of course, I'm older than you." I say, a smirk on my face.

"No way." Shawn replies, and I shrug.

"You told me yourself that you were seventeen. Just so happens that I'm eighteen."

"You're still sixteen out of this place! So that means that I'm, technically of course, older than you." He says to me, completely mocking my words. This earns him a playful swat on his arms, but with all that muscle? I doubt he would have even felt it.

"Only on technicalities though, sorry Shawn." I reply, which makes him roll his eyes at me.

"Moving on, I seriously wish I knew how I got here, or who I was with." Shawn tells me, and I shake my head.

"You came with a group of friends, Shawn. You guys were all headed for Cali, but made a pit stop at this wonderful establishment. All your friends were way too freaked out about this place, but you thought it would be a super idea if you were to go and spend the night here. And so you did."

"How do you know that?" Shawn asks, not sure whether to believe me or not.

"I'm a murderer outside of this hotel Shawn. I kill in secrecy. I told my family I was going to ask for directions, but actually just followed you so I could kill you. I overheard you on a phone call. Don't take it personally though, I've changed, I swear!" I tell him, and Shawn instantly backs away from me.

"Wait, are you serious?" Shawn asks, fear in his eyes.

"No, you idiot. You told me on the first day you were here. The Hotel erases it from your brain though."

I watch as Shawn begins to look relieved, and continues walking with me.

"I never thought of you as a lady killer anyways."

"True. I would have killed both ladies and gentlemen." I reply quickly, giving him a wink.

"Why did I ever come into this hotel?" Shawn asks, and I laugh.

"Regretting it already, Shawn?" I ask playfully, but he actually takes it into consideration, which is pretty shocking.

"Nope." He tells me, popping the 'p'.

"Wait, seriously? Why though?" I ask, concerned about his mental health.

"Because then I wouldn't have met you." He tells me.

My heart did a double flip and collapsed at that moment.

"You won't remember me when you leave." I tell him bluntly, and he shrugs.

"How many times do I have to tell you, I could never forget you in a million years."

"That's what you think." I say in a sing-song voice, and stop walking once we've finally reached the door.

"Okay, I just realized I've been following you for about ten minutes and have absolutely no idea where we are right now. Who are we about to see?" Shawn asks, and I look at him, excitement showing in my eyes.

"We, Shawn, are about to visit the one and only Mother Reenie."

A/N

im really in the mood for some soft tacos rn so if anyone could do me a solid and bring me some that would be great