Twenty-One

Floor Zero was dark.

I wish I could give a better description, but I honestly couldn't. The second I was out of steps on the ladder, my vision disappeared. And no, I didn't go blind, but the place was pitch black, not allowing me to see anything.

Instantly I reach into my bag, trying my very best to feel out the objects in hope to grab the match box and a candle. I put all the candles inside a lantern sort of thing so that the hot wax didn't drop onto me as I was holding a candle.

I almost immediately find the lantern where all the candles were being held, since it wasn't exactly the smallest thing in the world. I couldn't say the same for the match box though. I dug around the bag for minutes and minutes, trying to find the small box, until finally, my hands wrapped around it.

"Hell yeah." I whisper to myself, and open the match box.

After that I tried putting a candle inside the lantern after my other candles were shoved into the bag, and let me just say that it's not the easiest thing to do in complete darkness.

After some time though, I did successfully insert the candle to the area inside the lantern that would keep it from tipping and falling over.

Lightening the match, for some reason, was the easiest part. I quickly pulled out a match and swiped it, then watching the small flame for a moment before putting it into the candle wick and blowing the match out.

I put everything back into my bag (except for the lantern and candle, of course) and began to look at my surroundings. The candle only lit a small portion of the floor, so I couldn't exactly see everything, which scared me a bit more than a little.

I begin to slowly walk, searching for any other source of light, or a light switch. I'm being careful with my every step, and trying to find the nearest wall, because I feel much safer knowing that at least one side of me is covered.

I start to think about Kylie and Coraline, wondering how they got out of here. Then I remember that only Kylie got out of this place, which caused me to wonder what could possibly be down here that kept Coraline under.

Suddenly, I didn't feel as courageous as I did when I came in.

Due to my concerning thoughts, I'm not paying attention to where I'm going, which causes me to trip on a solid object.

Cue my intense swearing.

I get back on my feet and turn around to see what tripped me, bringing my candle close to the object.

"Alice in Wonderland" I whisper, reading the cover. I had tripped over a book, and although I first thought it was a bad thing, it really wasn't. Because when I got back up from examining the book, I noticed I was right next to a wall. Not only was this good news, but it became even better when I saw what I was looking for.

No, not the key, but that was definitely next on the list. Instead, a light switch was on the wall, and I was hoping that it would work.

The moment I flicked the switch, light blasted through the room, temporarily blinding me. Soon enough though, my vision is back, and I can clearly see where I am once I notice the gigantic shelves that touched the ceiling, filled with books.

Floor Zero was a library.

I honestly expected a jumbo version of the ashing room, but then again, I'm not complaining. The whole area was filled with books and book, both on the shelves and on the floor. My heart rate starts to become normal again once I notice this place wasn't as terrifying as I thought it would be.

That is, until I heard the singing.

"Lavenders blue, dilly dilly, lavenders green. When I am king, dilly dilly, you shall be queen."

A shiver went down my spin when I noticed the direction it was coming from, and promised myself that I wouldn't be walking there any time soon. I recognized the song almost instantly though, knowing it was a super old song. When I say old, I mean 17th century old.

I don't study up on old music, believe me. I just heard the song from that one Cinderella movie, or at least I think that's what it was.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I go back to the real reason I'm here. I need to find the key.

This was obviously going to be harder than I originally thought, since this place was huge and filled with books and books. Plus, I didn't have any hints on where to find this key.

Well, I take that back, I did have one hint from Mother Reenie. The secret garden. But me being the idiot I always am, I had absolutely no idea what that hint meant.

I mean, I wouldn't doubt it if there was some door here that was labeled "The Secret Garden". But so far I haven't walked past it, meaning that I wasn't the luckiest in the world right now.

"Nora? Nora, where are you?" I hear, interrupting my thoughts and causing my heart to stop. Not recognizing who the voice belonged to, I slowly begin to walk away from where I heard it, causing me to go towards whoever was singing.

"Nora? Nora please, Mr.Rush will be coming soon. You have to come here." The voice belongs to a guy, that much is clear. I just can't pin point who it is.

I decide to play it safe and not go towards the voice, but instead near the singer. I wasn't planning on shaking hands with them, but anyone who's singing a Cinderella song can't be that bad, right?

When I'm near enough the singing stops, and my eyes widen in fear.

"Nora!?" I hear the voice call my name again, and begin to back away.

"Nora, it's Marcus. Where are you?"

Suddenly, my muscles relax and I begin to breathe easy. The whole time I thought it was some demon, and it ended up just being Marcus. I shake my head in disbelief, and the moment I take a step towards Marcus's voice, I'm stopped.

"I wouldn't go to him if I were you."