Eleven

I hear a knock on my door the moment that I finally decide to keep my hair down. Quickly, I put on a pair of sandals that the hotel has so "generously provided" for me, and open the door to see Shawn with a smile on his face.

"Hey." He says simply, and I smile slightly, already noticing that some awkward stuff was going to happen.

"Hey." I reply, and before I can hear the awkward, dead air, I walk out of my room and shut the door (putting the do not disturb sign on the door knob again), then beginning a conversation with Shawn.

"Have you seen Mr.Rush lately?" I ask, and I watch as Shawn shakes his head.

"No, but it's kind of concerning, because he's usually rushing back and forth through the halls, searching for trouble." The accidental pun makes me laugh, and I fight to hold back a smile as I stare at him.

"What? Is there something on my face?" He asks, and I shake my head.

"No, nothing's on your face. It's honestly really stupid. Like, childish to the extreme." I answer, but Shawn just won't take the conversation elsewhere, dying to know.

"Okay, Nora, now I need to know. I won't sleep tonight."

"Well now you've just added a whole bunch of anticipation to it, it's going to sound even more stupid than the amount of stupid it originally was." I tell him truthfully, and he sighs, making me think that he's given up.

"You've got to tell me one day. Like, just blurt it out, and my life will be complete."

"My lame thought is going to make your life complete? That's a sad life you've got there, Shawn." I say, and he laughs. I can't help but watch him, admiring his smile.

I would seriously sell my soul to hear Shawn's laugh again outside of Hotel Midnight. But sadly, I know it won't be happening.

Apparently I begin to frown without noticing, because Shawn stops walking, his eyebrows scrunched together like he's solving a puzzle and can't find the right piece.

"What's with the sad face? Are you okay?" He asked, and I place a small, fake smile on my face, then shaking my head as we begin to start walking again.

"Just other lame thought."

"Can I hear this one?" He asks, and I can only shake my head again, then looking into his deep brown eyes and biting my lip.

"No, this one's just a little bit to personal." I answer, hoping that Shawn will change the subject this time.

"Alright. So, tell me, besides the spa and pool, are there any other cool floors that we haven't been to yet? Any floors with mystical rumors about them?"

"There's floor Zero. But that floor is just a rumor itself, no one has been there and lived to tell the tale except for-" I stop myself, but it's too late.

"Except for who?" He asks.

"Uh, just some girl, but she left the hotel, so there's no way we could ask her what's inside."

"Maybe there are a bunch of watches in that floor? I mean, she left the hotel after entering floor zero, so that's probably what's in there." Shawn says logically, and I shake my head.

"Even if that floor is filled with a million watches, she would still need the key." I answer, and once I see Shawn's confused look my heart stops, knowing that I've spilled way too much information.

"Key? Uh, Nora, what key?" He questions me, and I can't think of one way of answering his question without looking like the absolute, total liar that I am.

"Can we talk about it after the movie? Because if I'm going to be completely honest I don't want to ruin your happiness (a/n- get it hahahahahahaha I hate myself) , and I feel like it would be a serious crime to be pissed while watching Toy Story."

Shawn is silent for a moment and my heart aches for him to talk, or just say something, whether it was a yes or an hour of yelling at me, I didn't care.

Finally he speaks, and I release the breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Yeah, okay."

"Meet up at my room?" I ask, and without making eye contact he nods his head. I try to read the expression on his face but just can't, which hurts even more. I had no idea what he was thinking.

The rest of the walk is silent, and reaching the theater makes my mood just a tiny bit lighter once I hear the laugher and voices coming out of there. I walk inside, my hands in my pockets, and watch the group of people, all of them with smiles on their face.

"Hey! The movie is starting in ten minutes, you two can go ahead and sit in the back row with me and Daisy, since I know how you love the fact there are couches back there instead of seats." Sam says once he spots us, and frowns slightly when he sees the current mood both Shawn and I were in at the moment.

"Uh, yeah. Thanks Sam." I say, and he smiles again, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek before walking over to the front, greeting some other people.

"Why does he even kiss you?" Shawn asks, and I shrug.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you guys aren't dating or anything, right? So why does he kiss you, it's not right."

"Aw, someone sounds just a little bit jealous. It's cute, I have to admit. And I don't know, Shawn. It's just the way that Sam treats me, and every other girl he meets. Now come on, let's go get our seats before the movie starts." I say, and grab his hand as we walk in the crowd of people to the back row.

Maybe it was just me and my imagination, but I swear I heard Shawn grunt and mumble as we walked away.

"Yeah, well I know I can treat you better."

I ignore it, mostly because I'm not exactly sure that the words came out of Shawn's mouth. We both find the couches at the back of the theater and sit down, waiting for the movie to start. 

"They should really start these movies earlier." I tell Shawn, covering my yawn. He watches me, a small smile on his face as he takes a strand of my hair and puts it behind my ear, which causes me to raise my eyebrow. He definitely got over me lying to him quick.

"You can go to sleep if you want."

"Yeah, but then you would just watch the movie on your own. That's no fun." I tell him, and he shakes his head.

"No, I've seen this movie a million times, just like you. If you don't want to you can stay awake, it's completely your choice."

I'm silent for a while, just staring into Shawn's eyes and wondering how a guy trapped in Hotel Midnight and just got solidly lied to could be so sweet, before finally taking a deep breath and shrugging.

"I'm going to use your legs as a pillow, and I won't even sleep until half way, I'm a terrible sleeper." I say, trying to make him take back his words, because even though I was pretty tired, I felt bad letting him watch the movie alone.

"Make yourself comfortable." He says, and I smile at him before laying down, comfortable as ever.

Just as the movie starts and everyone in the theater stops talking, I feel Shawn's soft hand begin to play with my hair, bringing butterflies into my stomach.

And at that moment, I didn't mind being in Hotel Midnight at all.

A/N

sorry for the song references in the chapter.

lol jk I have no regrets 🤑