Chapter 18 - The Homecoming

I hope everyone enjoys this chapter.   Please let me know if there are any inconsistencies with other chapters.  I didn't go back and reread to make sure every detail was accurate.  Thanks!

************************************************************************************************************

Bria

For the rest of the trip, Max and Rhia couldn't keep their hands off of each other for too long.  They tried, but desire got the better of them almost every time.  They were often excusing themselves from group activities.  It was disgusting and sweet all wrapped into one.  I was happy that Rhia had finally come to terms with her feelings for Max.  

I had always secretly wondered if she returned any of his feelings toward her.  She had always been extremely nonchalant about his whole crush on her.  Now that I think back with twenty twenty hindsight, I realized that she'd been way too excited before he'd visited that weekend.  I guess years of pent up romantic longings and sexual frustrations took more than one weekend and eleven steamy encounters to control.  

When they announced that they were getting married, I figured she'd be trying for a baby soon.  At least she and Max loved each other.  I would have felt sorry for any baby that had Dane as its father.  

I was happy for my friend and her very young lover.  They deserved a happy ending.  They also deserved a thank you from me.  Watching those two devour each other regularly had put the spark into mine and Jason's love life.  He and I had gone from having sex twice a week to once or twice a night.  Thank you, Rhia and Max!  

Audrey (Rhia's mom)

The kids called and said they were on their way home. They also said that Rhia had some news. I really hoped Dane had finally asked her to marry him.

I was worried that she'd waste her whole life being a girlfriend, and never get to be a wife. I knew she wanted kids soon, too, and she didn't want to be an unwed mother. I couldn't help but think that something was holding her back.

Many hours after receiving their phone call, they pulled into my driveway. I was so relieved to see them home, safe and sound.

Brendan and Maya arrived with Jake and Tina. Joey pulled in with Lexi, Brent, and Krissy in his vehicle. Rhia pulled in last. Bria and Jason were in the back seat, and Max was in the front seat with her. That was a little odd. Where were Dane and Max's new girlfriend? Maybe they dropped them off already, I thought. That still didn't explain Max in Rhia's front seat. Did this have something to do with her news?

Everyone sorted through the luggage, taking what was theirs, and some of them went on their way. I overheard Brent and Jake tell Max good luck before they left with their girlfriends. For what? I wondered.

Now, only my sons, their girlfriends, Rhia, Bria, Jason, and Max were left. "Mom?" Rhia asked anxiously. "I have something to tell you."

I looked at her, and she looked nervous. The others were standing near her, while Max was beside her. "What is it, Honey?" I asked.

"Is Dad around, too?" she asked. Oh my, I thought, this must be serious.

"He's in the living room. Do you want to go in there?"

"Sure," she mumbled.

It was odd how they all moved as a group, following Rhia and me inside. Max stayed next to her the entire time. He had always played the role of her protector.

My husband, Nathan, was sitting in his chair, watching TV. "Honey, Rhia has something she wants to tell us," I explained.

"Okay, what is it?" Nathan asked, looking curiously at Rhia and her posse.