Chapter 22 - Newlyweds

Hey there!  I hoped to post yesterday, but spending Thanksgiving with family and friends was more important.  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving....those of you celebrating, that is.  I just wanted to make sure that everyone realizes that Raywags had my permission to use my characters in his/her story.  I thank all of who defended me, though.  If anyone was out there using my ideas without permission, I'd really want to know, so thanks for keeping me in the loop.  Anyway, I think after this, there will be one final chapter, then the epilogue.  I do want to write a second book to this one, but not right away.  I have another story in mind (with some, but a lot less sex than this one) that I want to try first.  I'm hoping some of you will want to read that one - I'm not sure what to call it yet, but I'll let you know asap.  Okay, on with the story......and don't hate me because of how this chapter ends. 

Oh, and please let me know about any goofs I've made, ie: last time, Max looked at Rhia and saw her while he was wearing a blindfold.....oops!!  He doesn't have super powers. 

*********************************************************************************************************************

Rhia

I woke up yesterday morning feeling strange. I had cramps, and felt like I was going to puke. I got up quietly, trying not to wake Max, and walked into the bathroom.

I sat on the toilet, checking to see if I'd gotten my period. I wiped myself, and examined the toilet paper. My heart sank when I saw the spots of blood on the paper. I had been almost certain I was pregnant.

I stayed in the bathroom for a few minutes, making sure I wasn't sick. I splashed some water on my face, and went back to bed.

When I awoke the next morning, I was still feeling under the weather. Max was already up. I could hear him in the kitchen.

"You want breakfast?" he asked as I walked into the kitchen. I cringed.

"I guess that's a 'no,'" he said, taking note of my facial expression. He turned back to what he was doing for a second or two, then turned around to study me.

"Are you okay?" he asked, concern in his voice.

I ran my hands through my hair. "Not really," I explained. "I got my period. I'm not pregnant, and, to top it off, I feel terrible."

"Aw, Rhee, it'll be okay. We'll be pregnant soon. It's certainly not for lack of trying," Max comforted, rubbing my back supportively.

"I know, it's just so disheartening. We're worse than rabbits. You'd think some of those sperm would have fought the good fight and conquered one of my eggs by now," I reasoned.

Max chuckled. "We'll just have to try harder," Max smiled. "When you feel better, of course."

"I'm pretty sure that's not possible if we want to keep our jobs and our friends," I explained.

"It was worth a try," Max said, getting up and tending to his unfinished breakfast.

About an hour later, in the shower, I felt dizzy. I must be coming down with something, I thought. After getting dressed, I walked into the living room.

Max was sitting on the sofa, watching television. "I think I need to go back to sleep," I explained.

"Can I do anything for you?" he asked.

"Nah. Just wake me up in a couple of hours if I'm still sleeping," I requested.

"You got it, sweetie," Max said.

Max

I was really worried about Rhia. She looked green. I wasn't sure if she was really sick or if she had made herself sick worrying about getting pregnant. I'd have to find a way to snap her out of it if it was the latter reason.

I couldn't figure out how she wasn't pregnant yet. We hadn't used a condom since we'd gotten back together. Maybe my sperm was no good since I came so much. Was that a thing? I didn't know. If it was, we'd have to take a break from touching each other for awhile. I'd have to look into it.

I heard her get up and run to the bathroom. I stood outside of the door, listening. I didn't hear vomitting, but she called out to me, "Max!"

I opened the door to find her on the floor, in front of the toilet, as if poised to puke. She was sobbing. "I thought for sure I was pregnant. Now, not only am I not pregnant, but I'm sick," she cried.

I stared down at her, not sure what she had wanted me to do when she called me in here. I could often tell what she was thinking, but I never assumed. Rhia could be a pistol sometimes.

She peered up at me from her floor seat. "Will you help me up?" she pouted. Wow. She must really feel like crap. She never pouted. I bent down and put my arms under her arm pits. Slowly and gently, I lifted her to her feet. When I was sure that she was balanced, I let go gingerly.

"I love you," she gushed. "If I wasn't sick, I'd kiss you."

I was thankful for that. I loved Rhia something fierce, but I didn't want to share her sickness if I didn't have to. "I love you, too."

I made sure she made it back into bed, then I shut the bedroom door and returned to the living room. No sooner had I sat down than my phone began to ring. It was Bria.

"Hello," I answered.

"Hello, Max?" she asked. She had called my phone. Who else would it be?

"Yeah, " I replied, "what's up?" I asked.

"Is Rhee around?" she wondered.

"She's not feeling well," I commented. I was wondering if I should be the one to tell her about our bad news, or if I should leave that up to Rhia. Bree took care of that for me.

"Do you know if she took the pregnancy test or not? I just knew that today was the day she'd be taking it, and..."

I cut her off. "She's not pregnant," I explained. "She got her period."

"Aw, poor thing. Is that why she's not feeling well?" Bria inquired.

"I think it might have something to do with it, but she's in pretty bad shape," I replied.

"Well, if you need any help with her, or if you just need advice, I'm your girl. She can be a difficult sick person," Bria commented.

"Okay, thanks," I said, then hung up. I really wanted Rhia to feel better. It sucked that we weren't having a baby yet.

Rhia

I awoke the next morning feeling better. My stomach remained uneasy, but I could deal with it. Yesterday was terrible. I kept feeling like I was going to vomit, then I couldn't get any relief. Not that I was a big fan of blowing chunks, but it would have relieved some of the uneasiness.

Once again, Max was awake before me. I walked into the kitchen, and was hit with a violently awful smell. "Ew, Max, what IS that?" I practically screamed.

"What are you talking about, Rhee?" he asked, looking confused. "I'm making an omelet with ham and cheese."

"Oh, it smells so gross!" I complained.

"I can throw it away," he said, looking hurt.

I felt badly for my outburst, so I pulled in my horns a little. "No, don't do that. I'll go get a shower, and come back after you've eaten it." I didn't know what it was, but it stunk.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Later that day, I called Bree. "Hey," I said.

"Hey," she replied. "Are you feeling better? Max told me you were sick yesterday."

"Yeah, I think I was just depressed that I wasn't pregnant," I explained.

"Yeah, sorry about that. At least you know Max is up for the challenge," she laughed.

"Most definitely. He is crazy. He was looking up whether or not his sperm was not strong enough since his privates were 'overworked,'" I explained. "Don't you dare tell him I told you that! He'd kill me."

"Well, it makes sense in a crazy sort of way," she answered. "Would you like to go out to lunch?" she questioned.

"Sure!" I answered.

************************************************************************************************************************

Bria and I followed the waitress to our table and sat down. We ordered our food, then continued our conversation. When the waitress brought our food, something about it turned my stomach. Before I knew what I was doing, I had run to the bathroom and thrown up. What was going on?

I went back to the table, and Bree was looking at me inquisitively. "Is your period really light?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said. "In fact, it was hardly there at all this morning."

"And Max's eggs smelled bad this morning?"

"Terrible."

"And this food?"

"I usually love it, but if I try to eat it, I'm going to puke again." I replied.

"I think you and I should take a trip to the hospital," she said, a smile lighting up her eyes.

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"I don't want to get your hopes up," she whispered, "but I'm thinking you might just be pregnant."

My bottom jaw fell open. If there would have been flies around, they would have had easy access to the inside of my mouth. Could it be true? Might I be pregnant?

"I won't call Max yet," I explained. "I want to see what the hospital has to say first."

"Good idea," Bria agreed.

****************************************************************************************************************

We arrived at the hospital shortly after leaving the restaurant.  I really hoped Bria's suspicions were correct. 

Bria was allowed to come with me to the examining room.  We had been in there for about thirty minutes before the person came to draw my blood.  She was in her late fifties, a little overweight, with blonde hair and glasses.  She had a kind smile.

"So," she asked, "when do you think you conceived?" 

"Well, I really don't know," I explained.  "My husband and I are very much in love, and we are very active in showing each other, if you get what I'm saying."

"Aw, newlyweds," she smiled.  "I guess it's really hard to tell, then, huh?  We'll get this processed and be back with your results in no time." 

Bria and I sat there in silence.  "Seriously, " she started, "do you and Max ever get tired of making love?"

I laughed.  "Yeah," I explained, "but after about twenty-four hours without each other, we're craving each other again."

Bree shook her head.  "You two are crazy.  Just wait, though.  If you are pregnant, that desire might come and go.  Sometimes I'm horny as all get out, then other times I'll punch Jason if he touches me.  It's a strange predicament to find yourself in, but so worth it."

Aw.  I really hoped I'd get to go through this special time in my life with Bria.  How cool would that be to bond over simultaneous pregnancies? 

After another half hour had passed, the doctor entered the room, holding my chart.  He was a middle-aged man, in his early forties, with short brown hair and brown eyes.  "I have your results," he said, looking at me.

"Yes?" I said, looking at him expectantly. 

********************************************************************************************************************

Next:  The doctor reveals the results, then Max and Rhia deal with the repercussions. 

********************************************************************************************************************

Thanks so much for reading!  I hope you liked this chapter.  I know it's short, but I wanted a cliffhanger.....I'll try to upload the next chapter quickly, though, to ease the disappointment (for the shortness).  Please comment and vote....I know this was kind of a dry chapter, but I hope you stay tuned.